Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car for a 20 year old bloke

Options
  • 20-08-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, hope to purchase my own car soon, any advice. Have been insured on the parents car for 3 years. And since passing my test in march i want to get on my own policy and earn a NCB. Have arond €3000 to spend so any advice on what to go for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

A bit more info would be nice, like what do you intend to use it for? How many miles per year? prefered type of car? petrol or diesel? Max/min engine size? What were you driving as a named driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭keezer

Just intend to use to go to and from college, mayo to galway and to work. So wouldnt be doing much milliage.

I was thinking around a 1.4/6, either petrol or diesel, any higher insurance might be a killer. Was thinking a hb like a 02 corolla etc, but would consider a saloon. I was driving a 1.6 04 Avensis for a year and the for the last 2 years a 08 1.4 Toyota Auris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Loads of choice from the 1.6 Hatchback range.

Focus would be my choice. My Ex got a 99 one a year ago for a great price and its beens a great car for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

all the taxi drivers are under a 9 year rule from january so loads of good deals on 00-01 saloon cars at the moment, youd get a nice bora, passat or avensis cheap enough , once you avoid small hatchbacks the insurance isnt awful ,(with the exception of bmw's) most saloon cars are quite cheap to insure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

keezer wrote: »
    Hi, hope to purchase my own car soon, any advice. Have been insured on the parents car for 3 years. And since passing my test in march i want to get on my own policy and earn a NCB. Have arond €3000 to spend so any advice on what to go for.

Old skull Jetta, can't beat it with a stick

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1422694

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Your car, yeah? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Advertisement