Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM dialler

Options
  • 20-08-2010 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

My sis is having the UPC phone installed and needs a GSM dialler for the alarm. Can anyone advise on cost, best type, and ongoing costs?

Cheers,

Freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Freddie59 wrote: »
    My sis is having the UPC phone installed and needs a GSM dialler for the alarm. Can anyone advise on cost, best type, and ongoing costs?

Cheers,

Freddie.

Do you know what type alarm she has installed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

altor wrote: »
    Do you know what type alarm she has installed ?

Eircom Phonewatch.

Eircom Phonewatch.

They use different types of alarms so you will need to get the make she has installed if possible.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Cheers,

Freddie.

Your existing digi on the alarm can connect to UPC line.
    You just need to ensure you have a battery back up PSU for the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

@altor - not Phonewatch. A private company providing monitoring back to Cork (she's in Waterford).

@koolkid: is this really true? It can work on the UPC line?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes Freddie The line out of a UPC mobem is exactly the same as a normal phone line .

@altor - not Phonewatch. A private company providing monitoring back to Cork (she's in Waterford).

Ok but do you know what alarm system she has installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

is it true that you cannot self monitor your alarm thru sms with the UPC line

is it true that you cannot self monitor your alarm thru sms with the UPC line

UPC dont support texting on there phone.

its a pity some of there sales staff dont know that

• Advertisement

its a pity some of there sales staff dont know that

They would tell you anything to get a sale :rolleyes:

According to jnealon in this thread . Its possible to send SMS via UPC line using a standalone dialler. I haven't seen this done myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

That is true, all the phone line is doing is transmitting the data to the message center. Just use a different message center to the eircom one and it will work.

Can you tell us what message centre you have got this working with?
    I have tried this numerous times both with Smart & UPC.
    I was always under the impression the message centres would reject messages from Smart or UPC numbers as they have nowhere to bill them to. If there is a way around this that would be fantastic because the rumours going around is that Eircom are going to scrap SMS over thier landlines also.

would also be interested in this as i have tried myself with UPC and cant get it to work

Advertisement