Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for Med in the UK through UCAS

Options
  • 20-08-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I would like to know the steps involved in applying to a medical school in the UK.
    Also, any info. about med. schools in the UK that are easy to get into would be great.

UKCAT- harder or easier than HPAT?

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thread title edited to a more specific one ... you might have better luck getting people who actually know something about UK med applications to reply! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Don't know anything about medicine in the UK. However, applied through UCAS this year. Obviously, you are late to apply for this year. The first step is your personal statement, this is where you really have to sell yourself, for medicine you should have relevant work experience, talk about subjects you currently are studying, you would relate these back to medicine. In addition to this include information about your extra curricular activities, achievements, why you actually want to go to a medical school in the UK. You will have to get a referee from your school. You choose 5 universities, the application is sent away to them. For medicine, you will probably have an interview then. They will consider your application and will make you a conditional or unconditional offer if successful. If you have completed the leaving cert and make the relevant grade requirements you receive an unconditional offer, if you are doing your LC next year, they will make a conditional offer changing to unconditional if successful after the release of LC results. You wait till all 5 universities reply, and if successful you choose a Firm and Insurance choice from the offers. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

Thanks a million frser32

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Pineapple123

I applied for medicine this year through UCAS...didn't get an offer though :-( But anyways...the most important thing that you could do at the moment is try to gain some sort of work experience in a hospital or medical setting, and talk about that in your personal statement. However, don't say "I saw an operation, it was great," instead, try to show what you learned, or gained from your work experience. Studentroom.co.uk has sample personal statements for medicine...but DO NOT copy them...make yours as individual as possible...anyway there's loads of tips and pointers on that website...as I said before though, work experience is vital...I managed to get two weeks in a nursing home which involved changing nappies and spoon feeding elderly people...I wasn't able to, but perhaps try to get a couple of short placements in a number of different medical areas, i.e a hospital, an nursing home, a GP, etc...I know you're probably heading into 6th year, but if you could volunteer somewhere in your local area once a week for an hour, do a sport, and talk about how it makes you diligent, work in a team, etc...ermm...I can't think of anything else...oh! Practice, practice, practice the UCKAT exam...some say you can't, but hundreds of people in the UK and Scotland will be, so don't be silly and not! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know, or if you have any questions just ask! Good look!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Shortsighted

UKCAT I found harder than HPAT. However I only had a week to study for the UKCAT compared to a month and a half for the HPAT. Don't be fooled by those who say you can't study for either - you definitely can. I found UKCATs Maths section pretty tricky, especially with timing, although you do get a calculator for the exam.
    I think you're only allowed apply for 4 universities when you're doing Medicine, I ended up getting two interviews but not going for them in the end and trying my luck with the Irish system instead. Seems to have worked! Good luck with whatever you try! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

You have to get cracking on the application process asap. Think they close it in October for most colleges. Contact the admissions office of as many uni's as possible and just ask them in general what needs to be done.
    I think you need to have the 4 subject combo of Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths; and you need to be getting A's in all 4. Some colleges I think will accept a 3 subject combo... but its not 6 like here. Then you have to give the personal statement in your application as mentioned and it really helps if you can get some real experience in a hospital. Or if you know any doctors in your family who would let you come sit in on their patient consultations... etc. But thats easier said than done.
    Then I think you get called for an interview too and a lot of the colleges hold these on the same day to prevent people applying to too many medical schools.

But you really need to talk to someone who is well familiar with the UCAS system to get a better understanding of what you need to be doing now! Dont waste time on it (as in getting the process started).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I used this website http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ when trying to find out info on universities in the UK. (I was applying for physio).

There is a section on it with help for personal statements. You can post up your personal statement and get others to critique it. I found it very helpful!

But you'll have to be quick if you're applying for Medicine as deadline is sometime in October. You can bet that people have already sent their applications in after getting their results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Komy93

Does anyone know if the uk unis put such an emphasis on junior cert results? if sooo...im screwed! Also, anyone done the ukcat for 2011 entry?...Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ms.Forbes

Anybody thinking of doing medicine should forget about it

I did it for a year last year and dropped out

you'll have no life whatsoever

too much work

never ending tests

don't know what sort of loser would want t continue with this course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Komy93

reaaaallly? Where were you studying?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ms.Forbes wrote: »

too much work

never ending tests

In fairness, Ms.Forbes, this is *your* experience. Many people study medicine quite successfully, and even maintain a social life.

Yes, medicine is hard work, everyone knows that. The reality is that many things in life are hard work, and the real question is "do you want it enough?".

I certainly don't see how those who make that commitment and stick with it are "losers".

It wasn't for you, fine. That's your decision, and perfectly valid. However, please don't insult those who choose to continue. You may be very glad of some of them in years to come when you fall ill.

Thanks alot for your replies everyone.
    I recently spoke with a friend about the UCAS system and he explained alot of it to me as he applied the year before.
    It all really cleared up the process for me.

And yea I just found out yesterday about the work exp. thing. I will start on my application in about 3/4 days.

Also, is it true the UKCAT doesnt carry as much weight as the HPAT does here? I have read this ann also have been told this but im nt sure.

Any other advice on the process overall would be great!!!

:)

too much work

never ending tests

Judging by your past posts it appears you're a repeat looking for primary teaching, no? Is spamming on boards a favourite past-time of yours or was that just a once-off? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

I applied for medicine in England before I started it in Ireland. I applied to 4 colleges, got refusal straight away from two, went for interviews for 2 and got them! The points equivalent they were looking for was much less because they wanted As and Bs so it could be A2 and B3. The trick is to apply to colleges that are quite good at taking Irish students. The 2 I got interviews and subsequent places in were Plymouth and Norwich and I know of people studying in Plymouth. I decided to stay in Ireland once I got the points figuring it would be cheaper but I'm not sure if I had done the Hpat would I have gotten in. We had to write an essay so be sure to have alot of volunteering and something to useful to talk about. They will ask you why you wanted med and I don't think to help people is what they're looking for. Have something that stands out from the rest!! They also look at your JC results esp science and english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Ms.Forbes

Judging by your past posts it appears you're a repeat looking for primary teaching, no? Is spamming on boards a favourite past-time of yours or was that just a once-off? :rolleyes:

My career decision was Medicine

2nd choice was Primary teaching

And you can still do teaching after you have a degree but you have to have a C3 in Irish which i didn't have as we don't study Irish in England

Got a tutor last year and had quite a lot of grinds

who.dunnit wrote: »
    I applied for medicine in England before I started it in Ireland. I applied to 4 colleges, got refusal straight away from two, went for interviews for 2 and got them! The points equivalent they were looking for was much less because they wanted As and Bs so it could be A2 and B3. The trick is to apply to colleges that are quite good at taking Irish students. The 2 I got interviews and subsequent places in were Plymouth and Norwich and I know of people studying in Plymouth. I decided to stay in Ireland once I got the points figuring it would be cheaper but I'm not sure if I had done the Hpat would I have gotten in. We had to write an essay so be sure to have alot of volunteering and something to useful to talk about. They will ask you why you wanted med and I don't think to help people is what they're looking for. Have something that stands out from the rest!! They also look at your JC results esp science and english!

thanks for your info, i will start to apply soon :)

My career decision was Medicine

2nd choice was Primary teaching

And you can still do teaching after you have a degree but you have to have a C3 in Irish which i didn't have as we don't study Irish in England

Got a tutor last year and had quite a lot of grinds

Fair 'nough then, I apologise. :)

Just wondering if you ever had kids in the future, I genuinely hope they're never critically ill and are forced to fall victim to the care of all those "losers" in hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sjk1992

who.dunnit wrote: »

Thanks! Thats so helpful :) Just wondering do you know of any other UK universities that accept the Irish for medicine?

Advertisement