Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful article 'about' Larry Murphy.

Options
  • 20-08-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been posted before, please delete it it if it has but I just stumbled upon the majestic journalistic qualities of a Mr. Cormac Byrne. I usually avoid the articles about Larry Murphy as I feel there really is nothing to report about him at the moment but I gave this a read anyway.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/murphy-gives-his-address-to-garda-sex-unit-2303568.html
    CONVICTED rapist Larry Murphy has given gardai an address at which he is residing seven days after he was controversially released from Arbour Hill Prison.
    He has provided an address for the Sex Offender Management and Intelligence Unit within a week of his release as is required by law under the Sex Offenders Act.
    The rapist has now agreed to counselling after being strongly urged to do so by senior gardai and a prison chaplain.
    Gardai investigating the disappearance of six women in the Leinster area, as part of Operation Trace, were extremely interested in Murphy and he continues to be the prime suspect in the disappearances of Jo Jo Dullard (21), Deirdre Jacob (18) and Annie McCarrick (26).
    Disappearance
    Despite these suspicions, the sister of missing woman Jo Jo Dullard has came out and said that she doesn't believe Murphy had anything to do with her loved one's disappearance.
    Jo Jo was last seen in Moone, Co Kildare, in November 1995 as she attempted to hitch-hike her way home from Kilkenny.
    Larry Murphy has not co-operated in the past with officers investigating her disappearance, despite numerous attempts made by gardai to question him.
    However Mary Phelan, Jo Jo's sister, claims that it is wrong to paint Larry Murphy as a serial killer.
    "I think that it is wrong to put it out there that he is a serial killer because there is no evidence to back it up."
    Gardai in Newbridge, Co Kildare, investigating the disappearance of Deirdre Jacob in 1998 have said that speculation linking Murphy to her disappearance was hurting their case.
    "One fear we have is that there is a general presumption here that Larry Murphy did everything.
    "People may have information on Deirdre Jacob and won't come forward," a spokesperson said.
    Open
    While speaking to the Herald earlier this year, Deirdre Jacob's father Michael appealed for new information and urged people to keep their minds "wide open".
    Mr Jacob said that anyone with information should not presume that the culprit has been found and the case is closed.
    "We are appealing for information, even if you think your knowledge is small and insignificant it could make all the difference," he said.
    Starting off giving a bit of 'filler' about Murphy presenting the guards with his address and seeking counseling then, completely out of kilter with the article just launches into the cases of the missing women he is 'supposedly' linked to! Absolutely nothing to do with the story and from what I gather, there is absolutely no evidence linking him to these crimes. Honestly, when I got to the end I had to recheck the title to reassure myself that this was in fact 'about' Larry Murphy!

Linking him without evidence only spoils any possible case if ever one was made or, labels an innocent man guilty of these murders. I wonder could Murphy seek legal proceedings against the media for continually linking him to cases that there is no evidence to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

What do you expect from the Hedilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Has anyone looked for him in this place
    >
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/33083807@N00/2468237681

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Superbus wrote: »
    What do you expect from the Hedilt?
    Just an article about the headline is all, I don't think I'm expecting much to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Just an article about the headline is all, I don't think I'm expecting much to be honest.

I suppose.

Journalists are getting rather lazy these days in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

I wonder could Murphy seek legal proceedings against the media for continually linking him to cases that there is no evidence to?

It'd be a bit silly of him to take legal action against an article in which a family member of a suspected victim tells people it's wrong to accuse him when there's no evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

ok the heralds ****e but wheres the disgraceful bit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

maybe he's alison o'riordan's ghost writer?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,062 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

down with this sort of thing, very naughty how they report on the importance of not reporting about him as a serial killer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Well done on a totally sensationalist thread title, just as bad as the paper you're criticising. I fail to see what is 'disgraceful' about the article. He mentions that Murphy was/is a suspect in those cases, which is true, but also points out that there is currently no evidence against him and that relatives of some of the missing girls felt that the speculation is unhelpful. I really don't see a problem with the article or why it's in any way disgraceful.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Well done on a totally sensationalist thread title, just as bad as the paper you're criticising. I fail to see what is 'disgraceful' about the article. He mentions that Murphy was/is a suspect in those cases, which is true, but also points out that there is currently no evidence against him and that relatives of some of the missing girls felt that the speculation is unhelpful. I really don't see a problem with the article or why it's in any way disgraceful.
    I was implying that every single article references the unsolved cases somehow. Unfair to Murphy, and also unfair to the families of the missing girls, giving possibly false hope and unwanted media intrusion when they may be simply trying to move on. That's what I find disgraceful.

He does mention that there is no evidence, then why report on it? If there's no evidence, surely he's considered innocent of the charges? If there's no evidence, why bother raising the issue at all?

My point was that the vast majority of the story goes on about something that has absolutely no reason to be there. absolutely no evidence whatsoever so he just starts talking about it anyway under the guise of a story about him going to the police.

A few references to the Herald (Hedild) been a rag, I wouldn't know, I never really read the thing. If it is, and this is the usual rubbish it spouts out well then I'm sorry for wasting your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I was implying that every single article references the unsolved cases somehow. Unfair to Murphy.

Jebus weeps for him so we dont have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

larry who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

There was I thinking some of the English were a bit simple with all the attention and sympathy/idolatry lavished on 'poor' Raoul Moat.

I now realise there's just as many people here with similar tendancies. Unfair on Larry............

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Fúck him. He's a dirty raping scumbag and I hope he gets whats comin to him. There may be no hard evidence but everybody knows he done it, including the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If i remember, jojo was hitching from dublin, not from kilkenny (to where she was returning)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I was implying that every single article references the unsolved cases somehow. Unfair to Murphy, and also unfair to the families of the missing girls, giving possibly false hope and unwanted media intrusion when they may be simply trying to move on. That's what I find disgraceful.QUOTE]

Surely there are better causes you could be spending your time and effort high lighting?

I was implying that every single article references the unsolved cases somehow. Unfair to Murphy, and also unfair to the families of the missing girls, giving possibly false hope and unwanted media intrusion when they may be simply trying to move on. That's what I find disgraceful.QUOTE]

Surely there are better causes you could be spending your time and effort high lighting?
    Time? Effort? Two minutes out of my day. I'm not starting petitions or going to my local TD, just don't like the media shoving theories down my throat and don't like to see anyone falsely accused of something, especially something this serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

Time? Effort? Two minutes out of my day. I'm not starting petitions or going to my local TD, just don't like the media shoving theories down my throat and don't like to see anyone falsely accused of something, especially something this serious.

Well it took more than 2 minutes for your to write your post. And it also takes more time for you to continually check back to see what people are saying in response.

Why pick on The Herald when you could make the same argument about articles in every newspaper. They all mention the disappearence of those women

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Larry ??

Well it took more than 2 minutes for your to write your post. And it also takes more time for you to continually check back to see what people are saying in response.

Why pick on The Herald when you could make the same argument about articles in every newspaper. They all mention the disappearence of those women
    Okay, you got me, 5 minutes. I get email notifications about posts which is always on so I'm not continually going back to check. I wasn't specifically trying to single out the Herald, obviously the article is from there but I made the point that the 'media' is doing it meaning that I've seen it mentioned in different papers. The article was really just an example of what is probably in majority of papers.
    cian1500ww wrote: »
    Larry ??
    Brilliant!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ah poor old Larry, loveable little scamp that he is, i wish those pesky journalists would just let him be. Bullies, that's what they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

.. don't like to see anyone falsely accused of something, especially something this serious.

We don't know they are false accusations.

Advertisement