Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish passport holder jailed for egg theft!

Options
  • 19-08-2010 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing to get too eggcited over but I just fell over this Yahoo news item on the way to my mail box.
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100819/tuk-rare-eggs-trafficker-jailed-for-30-m-45dbed5.html

A Zimbabwean man who tried to smuggle rare eggs worth £70,000 out of the country has been jailed for 30 months. Skip related content

Jeffrey Lendrum, 48, from Towcester, Northamptonshire, was caught with 14 peregrine falcon eggs placed in socks taped to his torso.

He has a history of egg trafficking in Zimbabwe and Canada, where he was filmed abseiling from a helicopter to steal rare eggs from the top of a tree.

Lendrum, who also holds an Irish passport, was found guilty of taking 14 eggs from a nest in South Wales and attempting to export such rare bounty without a permit.

He was arrested by officers as he sat in the Emirates departure lounge at Birmingham International Airport on May 3.

Officers from the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit found the falcon eggs tied in to socks and bandaged to his abdomen.

Bred in captivity, the eggs can be bought for around £1,500 each but gain a far higher value once hatched.

Lendrum pleaded guilty at Warwick Crown Court on Wednesday.

Eleven of the 14 eggs have been successfully incubated and eight chicks have already been reintegrated to nesting sites around the UK.

The remaining chicks are currently in a wild release programme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Illegal trafficking of wildlife(and wildlife products) around the world is a direct threat to the surival in the wild of numerous endangered/threatened species inlcuding Great Apes, Rhinos, Tigers, Bird of Prey and even plants like tropical orchids. On that note I hope the criminals caught at Shannon recently with a number of Rhino Horns get at least 5 years for their crime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Birdnuts wrote: »
    On that note I hope the criminals caught at Shannon recently with a number of Rhino Horns get at least 5 years for their crime!!

or thier "horns" chopped off.

Poaching absolutely sickens me, I completely fail to understand the benefit of mounting a rhino horn on your mantelpiece or having a tiger rug. Why not simply spend the money going to see these animal for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

"Lendrum, who also holds an Irish passport, was found guilty of taking 14 eggs from a nest in South Wales and attempting to export such rare bounty without a permit."
    Must have been a big nest.:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

thebishop wrote: »
    "Lendrum, who also holds an Irish passport, was found guilty of taking 14 eggs from a nest in South Wales and attempting to export such rare bounty without a permit."
    Must have been a big nest.:

Just a minor media blunder, as you doubtless know this represented someone robbing a county rather than a nest.

LostCovey

Advertisement