Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Development Price??

Options
  • 19-08-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have been asked develop an app for Android and iPhone and I'm not sure how I should price it. It is a simple app with a big calendar in it and it doesn't contain any special features really, just a way to display information. It will also require regular updates which I will also get paid for.

How would you go about pricing something like this and would there be a price difference between Android and iPhone??

Thanks again
    Joneser

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

however many hours you think it will take you charge an hourly rate. Im guessing that it would be around 20 euro per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

fishy21 wrote: »
    Im guessing that it would be around 20 euro per hour.
    You're joking. I've come across Indians that charge more than that.

Rates have gone down in Ireland, from what I gather, however I would guess that depending upon how professional and experienced you come across as a consultant you could probably charge anything between €30 and €70 p.hr.

TBH, project pricing is a lot more than an hourly rate though, as it can also include various pricing models such as prepaid discounted hours, premium rate 'change request' hours and various post development SLA and maintenance packages. Many will take a hit on development as a result, secure in the knowledge that once 'locked in' you will be able to charge more of a fickle client in the longer term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

You're joking. I've come across Indians that charge more than that.
    +1

Corinthian is right - developing an app like this will be a lot more than just hours. You also need to factor in the potential support for the app - how much time will it need going forward.

Another point would be that you are at the cutting edge - don't be afraid to charge for knowing how to do this.

But €20 per hour is way too cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Joneser

Thanks a lot guys, should be meeting up with him this week to discuss it. It will need regular updates which basically involves putting in new information to it, will probably be rare that I'll need to make any functionality changes. I'm thinking about charging €50 per update as it's just information updates

Advertisement