Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a bunch of tossers (bord na mona workers strike)

Options
  • 19-08-2010 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Makes me sick reading this

Forty workers at a Bord na Móna power station in Co Longford have been suspended over an unofficial industrial dispute.
    The company said they had signalled they would refuse to return to work next Monday when the plant reopens after a shutdown for essential maintenance.
    The power station had been set to close for 20 weeks, but the work was completed faster than expected and the plant would reopen four weeks early, a spokesman said.
    He said the reopening of the Mount Dillon plant was described was “good news” for the compay and employees.
    “During the period of the overhaul Bord na Móna transport workers affected were deployed to alternative work.
    “As the overhaul was completed, all transport workers were requested to return to normal work on standard pay and conditions.”
    The spokesman said the workers involved “refused to return to normal work and the company was left with no alternative but to suspend today the 40 workers involved in the unofficial industrial action.
    “The company fails to understand the rationale and logic behind this unofficial and needless industrial action and calls on the workers to agree to return to normal work immediately.”
    It is understood the workers are refusing to bring peat in to the station, claiming they are owed money for loss of earnings of about €100 a week while the power station was closed.
    The matter was already due to go to the Labour Relations Commission.
    Greg Ennis of Siptu said the union had been made aware of unofficial action taking place.
    “Union officials will meet members in the morning (Friday) to try and resolve the dispute,” he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0819/breaking48.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Forty workers at a Bord na Móna power station in Co Longford have been suspended over an unofficial industrial dispute.
    The company said they had signalled they would refuse to return to work next Monday when the plant reopens after a shutdown for essential maintenance.
    The power station had been set to close for 20 weeks, but the work was completed faster than expected and the plant would reopen four weeks early, a spokesman said.
    He said the reopening of the Mount Dillon plant was described was “good news” for the compay and employees.
    “During the period of the overhaul Bord na Móna transport workers affected were deployed to alternative work.
    “As the overhaul was completed, all transport workers were requested to return to normal work on standard pay and conditions.”
    The spokesman said the workers involved “refused to return to normal work and the company was left with no alternative but to suspend today the 40 workers involved in the unofficial industrial action.
    “The company fails to understand the rationale and logic behind this unofficial and needless industrial action and calls on the workers to agree to return to normal work immediately.”
    It is understood the workers are refusing to bring peat in to the station, claiming they are owed money for loss of earnings of about €100 a week while the power station was closed.
    Greg Ennis of Siptu said the union had been made aware of unofficial action taking place.
    “Union officials will meet members in the morning (Friday) to try and resolve the dispute,” he said.

i can understand why, i mean look at the state of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Well you wrote it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ah, for peat's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Turf em out on their asses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭JacquesD'Ladd

it was the title of this thread that attracted my attention... I thought, here is someone after my own heart, it's true: as I stumbled through my unholy obstacle-filled, password-tripping, dream-ridden pilgrimage unto this thread, I guessed, "with the world we live in today there is an 80% chance that you are absolutely correct", and indeed, I wasn't wrong. Yes, indeed, the foregoing are a bunch of tossers. Suspend them without pay, I say. In fact, fire them altogether, then they'll realise they were the stupid fools we always said they were, tossers, in fact. Next up, ESB, Bord Gais, Dail Eireann, Bus Eireann, Mna na hEireann... I could go on it would take quite-a-haering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

it was the title of this thread that attracted my attention... I thought, here is someone after my own heart, it's true: as I stumbled through my unholy obstacle-filled, password-tripping, dream-ridden pilgrimage unto this thread, I guessed, "with the world we live in today there is an 80% chance that you are absolutely correct", and indeed, I wasn't wrong. Yes, indeed, the foregoing are a bunch of tossers. Suspend them without pay, I say. In fact, fire them altogether, then they'll realise they were the stupid fools we always said they were, tossers, in fact. Next up, ESB, Bord Gais, Dail Eireann, Bus Eireann, Mna na hEireann... I could go on it would take quite-a-haering
    Oi
    Leave the Mna na hEireann out of this
    Mna na hEireann dont transport turf
    They merely heat their ovens with it

• Registered Users Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sod the lot of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

It is understood the workers are refusing to bring peat in to the station,

Whatever, I'll do it. There's forty jobs going...............leggit.

http://www.bnm.ie/corporate/index.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

One of the lowest payed group of state workers in the country delivering almost free peat to one of the greediest monopolys in the country! ESB - in fairness I have never heard of them striking in the past.....BNM makes 300m profit a year.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

One of the lowest payed group of state workers in the country delivering almost free peat to one of the greediest monopolys in the country! ESB - in fairness I have never heard of them striking in the past.....BNM makes 300m profit a year.......
    Their (the strikers) profession is driving a truck.???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah, for peat's sake.
    jester77 wrote: »
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sod the lot of em.

Damn you all :mad:

Ehh, Bord na Moaners, more like :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Graar public sector graar

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Im on the Arrrr train too. Yarrrr.. Workers... Arrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Wait so it seems the workers were assigned to other work while the plant was closed but now they want compensation for the overtime they missed.
    It's almost an impressive amount of greed and illogic, almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

You srs?

If it wasn't for ESB being forced to buy archaic fuel at exorbitant costs, there wouldn't be a Bord na flippin' Moaner!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

just sack them, plenty of others to fill in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Those plants provide **** all power to the grid and create pollution by the tonne while doing so. As the fuel itself is very finite it should be stopped before all the cuttaway bog is used up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

You srs?

If it wasn't for ESB being forced to buy archaic fuel at exorbitant costs, there wouldn't be a Bord na flippin' Moaner!

The Fuels division turns over more money for the company than the Energy division, stop talking shíte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Dempsey wrote: »
    The Fuels division turns over more money for the company than the Energy division, stop talking shíte.

...right, work there do we?

Tell you what, let ESB stop buying smoke in a bale in the morning, and let's see how things pan out, m'kay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ah, for peat's sake.
    jester77 wrote: »
    ejmaztec wrote: »
    Sod the lot of em.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Damn you all :mad:

Ehh, Bord na Moaners, more like :cool:

Shame on you. This is a serious discussion, and not one to be bogged down with crappy puns.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 natterjack

Seems Union are kicking in...madness jobs being lost left right and centre and these guys don't want to go back on full pay!!!
    It can't be the weather thats keeping them out.....good that company is standing up to them.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Einhard wrote: »
    Shame on you. This is a serious discussion, and not one to be bogged down with crappy puns.

You're right, both sides in the electricity plant are highly charged and it's all heating up. . . . . . . . .

someone is bound to get burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

they should all be fire...paked

ill get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

You're right, both sides in the electricity plant are highly charged and it's all heating up. . . . . . . . .

someone is bound to get burned.

this is sure to generate controversy, we need to get all on an equal footing

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

this is sure to generate controversy, we need to get all on an equal footing

:o

Thats coal comfort to the workers:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Thats coal comfort to the workers:P

At least they weren't slacking off ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

natterjack wrote: »
    Seems Union are kicking in...madness jobs being lost left right and centre and these guys don't want to go back on full pay!!!
    It can't be the weather thats keeping them out.....good that company is standing up to them.

M

They weren't on full pay for the time it was closed, it's not their fault the plant needed maintenance, why should they be penalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They weren't on full pay for the time it was closed, it's not their fault the plant needed maintenance, why should they be penalised?

because its fecking obvious to anyone working there that this situation will occur every so often and needs to be written into contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

I`ll send my hoe down, to sort out this mess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

can someone clarify this for me?

My understanding was these workers received their basic pay while the plant was shut down but missed out on overtime/bonus payments?

Am I correct is saying this? If so then I fully back the company overtime/bonus payments should not be an automatic entitlement and the workers seeking them for periods/striking over this is a joke.

Advertisement