Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Corolla VVTI

Options
  • 19-08-2010 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Hey,

hoping someone can help.

My 2001 Corolla VVTi with 124K miles on the clock has developed an unhealthy appetite for engine oil.

Is there anything I can add to the oil such as an additive to help stop this?

It happens when I'm doing motorway driving but otherwise its grand.

It burned off almost a litre over 600 miles.

I had a full service done 2600 miles ago using all genuine parts and 10w40 oil was used.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

AFAIR there was a recall on these cars because of this very issue.

Get on to your Toyota dealer.

You are wasting money and your time putting additives in with the oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Slidey wrote: »
    You are wasting money and your time putting additives in with the oil

Thats exactly what I was thinking but was curious as I've never used them before.

In fairness the car has no service history, high mileage and I've only owned it since December so in all good conscience I wouldn't expect Toyota to fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Give them a ring with your chassis number, you never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

that campaign ended 5 years ago.. there is no real point putting additives as its the piston rings, you could get the engine block overhauled but would cost you as much as the car is worth.. cheap option would be just keep putting oil in it! and by the toyota service book anything up to 1 litre per 600 miles is ok???

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    and by the toyota service book anything up to 1 litre per 600 miles is ok???

I don't have the book but I would still consider that to be high consumption.

If its recommended as ok thats fine. I'll not be overhauling the engine as the car is being changed soon but I don't want to sell it to someone and have them coming back to me wanting their money back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah i would consider it high also, but they are the figures they give, you could try some "stp stop smoke" which may reduce the consumption..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

quick question in relation to this as im thinking about buying vvti corolla. but 1 group of people tell me not to touch them as because she drinks petrol and goes due oil like no tomorrow. but other people tell thats down to how it driven probably. any advice??

quick question in relation to this as im thinking about buying vvti corolla. but 1 group of people tell me not to touch them as because she drinks petrol and goes due oil like no tomorrow. but other people tell thats down to how it driven probably. any advice??

Open a thread in the motors section as its more appropriate however mine has been a pleasure to own and I'd advise one as a cheap reliable car still

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

deafroadrunner, meet johnos1984. He's thinking of selling the very model you're thinking of buying! :D

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    deafroadrunner, meet johnos1984. He's thinking of selling the very model you're thinking of buying! :D

Thats true, PM me if you want!

The car didn't burn a drop on a hard run from Nenagh to Newry yesterday so I think its all ok again.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Bore glazing and premature wear of the oil control rings are the likely cause here and it is a known issue. The fact that you have gotten to 124k is no mean feat. This problem usually kicks off around 65-70kmiles. :D

Advertisement