Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Accent 07: Opinions & Advice please

Options
  • 19-08-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Was looking at one of these today, its 2007 black Accent 3 door sport 1.4 petrol.

Is this a decent reliable car? Anything to watch for on these?

The one i was looking at had around 80000 km on clock selling for 6750euro from a dealer. Is this reasonable price to pay?

How much roughly would servicing and parts be?

Also when did Hyundai start their 5 year warranty on cars? Would this be under the 5 year warranty? Dealer wasn't sure (not a main hyundai dealer).

Your opinions and advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The one i was looking at had around 80000 km on clock selling for 6750euro from a dealer. Is this reasonable price to pay?

No. They're not great cars for the money. You can do a lot better for e6750.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Confab wrote: »
    No. They're not great cars for the money. You can do a lot better for e6750.

Are you basing that anything other than the fact its a hyundai? I think their quality has improved drastically post 2005.

OP have you driven the car? Does it seem solid? 80000km isnt a whole lot but its not like it just got driven to the shops either. Could you get a independent mechanic to give it a once over?

I'm not sure but that 5 warranty could be on more recent new cars. Has the dealer offered any sort of warrenty? A year would cover if anything major pops up in the first NCT.

EDIT: parkers are going on about the 5 year warranty. Maybe give a main dealer & a ring & see what the story is?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/hyundai/accent-2006.aspx?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

yes drove the car and all felt absolutely fine. can get someone to look under the bonnet before purchasing no bother.

They revamped the accents around this time im led to believe so this would be a newer funkier styling than the older ones. I was impressed by the quality of ride too.

Sounds like this would have the 5year warranty which means id get two more years warranty from the manufacturer......NICE!!!!

Dealer offered a 6month warranty on it outside of any manufacturer warranty there may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Hyundai Accident not accent is all ill say.

bmw535d wrote: »

Please elaborate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

bmw535d wrote: »

The handling isn't great in my experience however as a cheap motor I like them.

I had one as a loner from a garage and was offered it very cheap at the time. I didn't like it but I was sorry afterwards I hadn't bought it as I couldn't find anything to touch it for the money

Cheap as chips motoring but it may not be easy to sell on.

For a very similar car check out the Kia Rio. Same car inside and underneath but subtle differences in the styling.

How about its Kia sister

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1493649

they changed the car considerably in 2007, now handles, drives and looks much better. certainly better looking than that Kia you list above.

they changed the car considerably in 2007, now handles, drives and looks much better. certainly better looking than that Kia you list above.

Its the same car with different front body panels

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1478486

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Those newer accents and the Rio both have a new 1.4 litre engine with variable valve timing and 96 bhp. same power as a Corolla and 20-25hp more than a Golf or Focus for the money.
    The Accent handles quite well, but I drove a Rio and there are definitely differences, the Kia seems softer sprung and a bit more wobbly. (comparing 3dr Accent on standard 16 inch alloys and 4 dr Rio with steel wheels)

The Accent should have blurtooth, aircon, alloys, fogs, and all electrics. Quite a good car actually.

not as big as Corolla/Focus etc, in that in-between class shared with the likes of the Suzuki Liana, Chevrolet Aveo etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's the NCAP rating that'd put me off. 3 stars on a 2007 car?

3 star NCAP doesn't soud great when Yariss were getting that in 1999, test got progressively tougher though, for example, 5 star in 2008 would probably only get 4 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I was thinking there while i was away....depending on the date of first registration it might be legible for its first NCT with the whole getting done 6 months early thing? You could try haggle with the garage to get it done first & you'd be certain its reasonably solid if all is well?

5 year warranty on Irish Hyundais only applies to i10, i20, i30 and Santa Fe from this year I think

ok so it seems that there is no 5 year warranty on these here in Ireland. In the UK however there would be. Yet another example of the Irish car buyer getting shafted.

So rather than comments such as "there bad" or "hyundai accident more like" can anyone give me something constructive.

For example, is there anything i should look for on these that there has been known problems/issues with?

I was also considering a Citroen C4? Any thoughts on these?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Have to say I love the Accent--I drive a 00 myself.Im actually looking for a 99/00 Coupe at the minute since Ive always loved Hyundais having worked for them for 6 years.

The 07 Accent is a decent reliable car but I think the price for the one youre looking at is a bit on the high side.

Also as far as I remember the 07 model DID have a 5 year warranty but it was limited to the original owner and didnt move with subsequent owners.

Reliability wise Hyundais are probably one of the most reliable makes Ive worked with expecy for one or two models that they totally fooked up with like the Tragedy and their ongoing saga with gearboxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I was thinking there while i was away....depending on the date of first registration it might be legible for its first NCT with the whole getting done 6 months early thing? You could try haggle with the garage to get it done first & you'd be certain its reasonably solid if all is well?
    OP, did you spot this post?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement