Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on how to finish front door threshold, please!

Options
  • 19-08-2010 4:57pm

I have a new house which has a tiled entrance hall. The door frame has a u-shaped aluminium base, which seems to act as a "gutter" as it has a slightly higher wall on the outside than the inside, and a couple of drainage holes to the outside - not that it needs them, as no water gets in :confused: The aluminium section also continues under the side panels and shows on the inside of the entrance hall

I would appreciate some ideas/advice about how to "finish" this threshold, from an aesthetic point of view. You'll see (I hope) from the photos that it looks a bit scrappy and unfinished. The height of the inner aluminium "wall" matches the floor finished height, but there's very little room between the door and the floor (around 10mm) so whatever I end up using needs to be pretty thin

P8190004.jpg

P8190006.jpg

P8190002.jpg

P8190003.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

At this stage of the game there isnt alot you can do..

Sealant isnt a great idea as it will be a haven for gathering dirt in it.

There are flat brass coloured strips you can get, between 12.. and 20mm wide, the wouldnt rise more than 5mm and come in 8ft lengths.. you could use that at the door perhaps.

Problem is if you grout it, the movement from the door on the frame will crack the grout and it will come up in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think sealant will be fine, as long as you use a good product- I'd use Rito butyl sealant. Use a strip of foam underlay, folded over on itself, as a backer and put this down into the joint, about 3-5mm below the tile. Caulk with the sealant and tool neatly. Before you start ensure the aluminium frame and tile are clean (degrease with white spirit or meths). I've used Rito where timber floating floors meet thresholds like this and not had any problems, movement will be minimal and as long as you don't overdo it on the scrubbing it should last!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Silicone sealent... Ivory will match the colour of your tile i imagine but grey will match the grout and look less dirty.

if you use cement it will crack from the door.

Nice tiles btw. love them in halls. Your door looks lovely as well. Keep an eye on it and paint it though. My fooker warped...

Thanks guys, appreciate the suggestion and will use a silicon or butyl to bridge the gap between the tile and the aluminium - what I was wondering is covering the aluminium, as that shows at the bottom of the side panels on either side of the door, even when the door is shut. The brass strips I have seen aren't wide enough =- the outer width of the aluminium u channel is 37mm but you'll see that the "outer wall" disappears under the side panel. It's really the aluminium that I'm trying to hide. And I haven't painted the hall woodwork yet, just the walls - they're not my white paint runs, honest!

DSCF1652.jpg

Nice tiles btw. love them in halls. Your door looks lovely as well. Keep an eye on it and paint it though. My fooker warped...

Thanks Joey, the door was painted in indoor acrylic, both sides:eek: Have sanded down, re primed, undercoated and that's the second coat of Dulux Killala - we love the colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Aluminium stips in various lengths & widths available in B&Q - ideal cover strip to gap. Come in flat, T or L shape.
    Seal gap with good sealant, as said above.

Clean excess mortar stains off existing aluminium threshold. It should look fine. Any attempt to hide or cover the existing threshold with look "mickey mouse" in IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement