Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rg6 0r tx 110 sat cable

Options
  • 19-08-2010 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I have recently installed a triax dish with a quad lnb for sky using pro power rg6/u cable. I am now hearing so much about triax tx100 cable and how much better it is, I'm not having any problems with the cable as far as i know, but im about to install a motorized system soon and i know i will need the good cable, but what would you people do would you pull down all the rg6 and replace it with tx 100.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I use a 20m RG6U and dont have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Finne1993

jpsr wrote: »
    I have recently installed a triax dish with a quad lnb for sky using pro power rg6/u cable. I am now hearing so much about triax tx100 cable and how much better it is, I'm not having any problems with the cable as far as i know, but im about to install a motorized system soon and i know i will need the good cable, but what would you people do would you pull down all the rg6 and replace it with tx 100.

I would'nt bother changing it, the RG6 will be fine unless you've a long run like 50 or 60 metres of cable

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It depends how exposed it is and how weather proof a variety of coax.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

RG6 is more than fine. Most receivers also have an option to send an extra .5volts down long runs of cable.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Personally, if I were in a position to change cable to superior TX100 (or equivalent), I would.

While RG6 is all grand for many cases, for a motorised system with weak signal from some birds and transponders, I'd prefer TX100 to maximise what signal is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

byte wrote: »
    Personally, if I were in a position to change cable to superior TX100 (or equivalent), I would.

While RG6 is all grand for many cases, for a motorised system with weak signal from some birds and transponders, I'd prefer TX100 to maximise what signal is available.

Is there actually a different in signal quality in short runs? I'd find that hard to believe! I have most of my place cabled in RG6, no issues tbh.

*edit* And I don't see how using any sort of different cable would allow you to receive a hard to get transponder when the only issue here is dish size.Well..weather too I spose.

I'm sure watty will give us some other factors.

Cheap cable on < 20m only makes a difference how much interference gets in or out and if it still works in 6 months time. Not an issue on "proper" RG6.

Some so called "RG6" is aluminium on plastic foil and degrades outside so with time you lose signal.

Dish size is everything. LNB and cable don't affect signal much. The main issue with wrong cable is interference (out and in), and loss of signal when it corrodes, not when new. Also if it kinks or collapses easily can lose specific channels.

"RG6" unfortunately nearly only means a certain diameter of 75 Ohm cable (rather than skinnier RG59 for TV patch cords). It used to be a specific cable with even copper core + copper foil and heavy copper braid. I've seen "RG6" marked cable with coppered steel or tinned steel(worse) core, spider web aluminium braid that turns to powder and aluminium coated "gift wrap style" plastic shield that the metal seems to evaporate off in the damp. That sort of "RG6" will last 3 months outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jpsr

The cable i have been using is pro power rg6/u. I had the cable for 1 year on a dish before i moved the dish to the side of the house, the cable seemed fine, no sign of it rotting, but i still but up new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

jpsr wrote: »
    The cable i have been using is pro power rg6/u. I had the cable for 1 year on a dish before i moved the dish to the side of the house, the cable seemed fine, no sign of it rotting, but i still but up new cable.

I concur.I actually have some cheap RG6 running through my shoots for about 6 years for a sky dish and it's still perfect even being submerged in water, moss and pigeon poo! lol

I done more reading on rg6, which was the difference between rg6 and rg6/u and the u stands for universal or underground, saying it is good for outdoor use were corrosion is a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

carbsy wrote: »
    Is there actually a different in signal quality in short runs? I'd find that hard to believe! I have most of my place cabled in RG6, no issues tbh.

*edit* And I don't see how using any sort of different cable would allow you to receive a hard to get transponder when the only issue here is dish size.Well..weather too I spose.

I'm sure watty will give us some other factors.
    It is my opinion only, thus starting with "personally"

For me, I think cable is as important in the chain as anything else. If replacing RG6 with TX100 minimises any chance of interference or loss (yes, cable does have loss, otherwise we would still be using that brown rubbish that has just a bit of briad and no extra screen) then that's what I do.

Also, I did say RG6 can be grand in many cases.

Given a choice, as per OP, I'd go for TX100.

Agreed.

Though the major issue of the cheap brown stuff loved by builders is Interference in and out and not waterproof at all. The loss isn't significant at 15m. Some of the older foam (solid) stuff is not hydrophobic so it absorbs moisture and then has massive loss. The air cored cellular plastic core version can fill with water and stop working. The outer cover is too porus and lets in water.

The important thing is brand and type of cable. TX100 and PF100 are better than RG6, but only if they really are what they claim to be. :( There is also RGxx/U cable that is nothing of the sort. It's not just Rolex that has inferior knock-offs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have my house wired with TX 100 I got from satellite.ie last year and ok while it is more expensive than the cheaper stuff it is far superior and is properly insulated and copper shielded also. You will have replaced the old cheap cable long before this stuff gives any trouble.

Took me ages to get the knack of putting on the F-connector though due to the heavier duty of it, the trick is wrap the copper braid flush with the black plastic outer insulation and not wrap it back over it to tighten the screw fit as lots of people do with RG6.

I ordered the tx 100 yesterday from www.satellite.ie. I dont want to be rewiring cables again because of bad rg6, so im gonna do it right this time.

Advertisement