Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

focus lights

Options
  • 19-08-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Need to get a light bulb fitted on focus, apparently you need to remove battery to do it and it takes time. . Would those fast fit places fit them and how much likely to be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Need to get a light bulb fitted on focus, apparently you need to remove battery to do it and it takes time. . Would those fast fit places fit them and how much likely to be?

Was charged €15 by Fast Fit to change a headlight bulb on my Accord replaced. They didn't charge me for the puncture repair which was the reason I went, and decided to get them to change the bulb while I was there (lazy b@stard - I know).

You don't need to disconnect the battery to change the bulb, just leave the ignition off. A bulb should only cost around €5 from your nearest motor factor and take 10 mins to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

R.O.R wrote: »
    You don't need to disconnect the battery to change the bulb, just leave the ignition off. A bulb should only cost around €5 from your nearest motor factor and take 10 mins to change.

You need to remove the battery just to physically get at the bulb in the Focus, not for any electrical reason!

Funny, I was ranting about issues like this in another thread earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Halfords will fit them for you. Im not sure if they are the cheapest but they are not terribly expensive.

Some cars are a right PITA to get at the headlights; the Accord I have practically requires the engine to be removed in order to get at the headlight unit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Isn't there a recent Renault model where you have to remove the front wheel in order to open a hatch under the wheel arch to get access to the headlamp bulb? Saw it on 5th Gear last year and apparently it typically took between 1 and 3 hours to change the bulb. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

phutyle wrote: »
    You need to remove the battery just to physically get at the bulb in the Focus, not for any electrical reason!

Ah - didn't realise that :o

I did change the other headlight myself in the Accord when that blew. There is probably still a good scraping of skin left in the engine bay.

Hope the OP has the radio code for the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

There's three bolt/screws holing in the headlight assembly. One below and two above. Easier if you can find the one below the headlamp.
    No chance halfords would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Well which version Focus is it? In the newer ones its not as bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The mk1 is easy it just unclips at the back and enough room for access. On the mk2 the headlight has to come out as there is no room for access. There's a 'how to' here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

drBill wrote: »
    Isn't there a recent Renault model where you have to remove the front wheel in order to open a hatch under the wheel arch to get access to the headlamp bulb? Saw it on 5th Gear last year and apparently it typically took between 1 and 3 hours to change the bulb. Madness.

Saw that episode myself, couldn't believe it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Saw that episode myself, couldn't believe it!!

You could do it that way, or you could do it in ten minutes without removing anything if you know what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

phutyle wrote: »

You don't need to. If its the bulb on the left light just take off the battery cover for the MK1 and remove the plastic cover. They are a bit of a pain.

OP, which focus? Newer or older?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

2002 focus. i have the code for stereo. Might just give my mechanic friend a ring to do it. Im afriad ill break it if i start pulling at the thing. Havent got any tools either. Bought the bulbs in consort but the guy working there wouldnt fit it for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

drBill wrote: »

Nope but theres lots of people that believe you have to do that.

Even doing it that way they went the long way round about it, then went around again for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

You could do it that way, or you could do it in ten minutes without removing anything if you know what you're doing.

Apply a full lock?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Bought the bulbs in consort but the guy working there wouldnt fit it for me .
    Ask the butcher to cook your steak and tell us what he/she says.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

2002 focus. i have the code for stereo. Might just give my mechanic friend a ring to do it. Im afriad ill break it if i start pulling at the thing. Havent got any tools either. Bought the bulbs in consort but the guy working there wouldnt fit it for me .

I changed the headlights in my 2002 ford focus last month and dont know much about cars. It'll take a while your first time because there is very little space to work with. Do the driver side first then you'll have a better chance of doing the side with the battery without having to see what your doing.

Heres how to take out the drivers side light: At the back of the headlight unit is a plastic cover, take this off. There is a silver clip over the headlight, push this downward to unclip it then pull it from drivers side to passenger side to open. The bulb and holder should pull out. Pull of the old bulb, you might need to use a little muscle here. Then do everything in reverse to replace with the new bulb.

It took me 30 minutes to do the first one and 5 to do the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

esel wrote: »
    Ask the butcher to cook your steak and tell us what he/she says.
    My father knows guy working in store who normally fits things for him when he buys it but that guy wasnt there. Id pay to have it done anyway.

Advertisement