Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new rod .?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭

I am currently lookin at buying a new rod , i want a good pike rod and am hoping the one i have will do for smaller fish , but there is always the fear of a big pike runing my rod , i was wondering if anyone would have any tips and advive on getting a good strong rod .?
    all help appreciated .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I have a Shakespeare Ugly Stik lite, best rod i have! Caught pike to near 20lb on it and use it for spinning for brownies down the river. 10/10, strong as f*ck:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭peterk675

Would it be cheap ? Dont really have much to spend , sounds good do :eek:

I dont know what you'd pay for one? My gf got me mine over the net a couple of years ago, dont think it was too dear.
    Google them and you'l see what price they are. Great rod for the money

ps. its a Ugly stik lite 270 i have.

Thanks yea i was looking them up they look really good might look in to them anyway thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Ugly sticks were dirt cheap when i was living over in the states a couple of years ago. Used to have a nice one for spinning on the charles river for bass when i was over there, got it for $30 or something and id honestly say it was the most durable and good solid all-round rod ive ever had. Too bad i couldnt bring it back with me!

But i reckon they'd go for around 40 quid over here maybe a bit more for a bigger one.

Hope that helps :)

Edit: Heres a link to one Ugly Stik Lite Spin Rod

• Advertisement

Thanks yea im thinking about getting one , the ones ive looked it seem to be in and around 8 ft i was wondering do you know if they go bigger than that .? Mabe a 11 or 12 ft would be ideal !
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

My pike rods so old the name of it has worn off! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

My pike rods so old the name of it has worn off! :D
    Thats some serious fishin been done with that rod id say!

Past down from generations :D

Past down from generations :D

I love them bamboo stick pike rods:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

David:
    Peter:
    10' MkIV Carp rod, 1 3/4lbs test curve, all through action, sliding reel fittings, cork handle, green coloured glass, built on a Sundridge blank. It has been my spare spinning rod for pike for years. Not flashy, just a nice rod to use. I landed innumerable salmon and pike on it when it was my number one heavy spinning rod.
    €20 if you want it, which is part cost of the Fuji rings I put on it, the rod comes free - you'd have to get someone to collect at Dublin address.

coolwings wrote: »
    David:
    10' MkIV Carp rod, 1 3/4lbs test curve, all through action, sliding reel fittings, cork handle, green coloured glass, built on a Sundridge blank. It has been my spare spinning rod for pike for years. Not flashy, just a nice rod to use. I landed innumerable salmon and pike on it when it was my number one heavy spinning rod.
    €20 if you want it, which is part cost of the Fuji rings I put on it, the rod comes free - you'd have to get someone to collect at Dublin address.
    Sounds like a serious rod but I'm happy with the one I have. :)

Sounds like a serious rod but I'm happy with the one I have. :)
    dont think he was saying that to you :D

peterk675 wrote: »
    Read his post again, at the start it said "David:"
    Maybe he made a mistake, I thought it was a bit funny offering it to me when you started the thread. Oh well, we're all human!

Maybe he made a mistake, I thought it was a bit funny offering it to me when you started the thread. Oh well, we're all human!
    Yea i did just there haha it sounds good do :eek:
    That do you think .?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

peterk675 wrote: »

Aaargh! Hate that! Post edited to make more sense!! :o

Aw well , i prob would be interested in the rod only im no where near Dublin ! But cheers anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

i can recommend the ugly sticks they are great rods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

agree with the stick being the dogs!!!

I got mine latest one here http://www.gooutdoorireland.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=745

seemed cheap at 35 euro...

i can recommend the ugly sticks they are great rods.

seems like everyone has one :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Shakespeare Odyssey Pike in Jackangling in Newry, €38.86 + €4.80 delivery to ROI :D

They have 2.5lb & 3lb Curve test (3 & 2 section 12ft)

This series of pike rods is available in two and three piece verions. Designed with a progressive 3.00lb test curve, making them an excellent choice for all heavy plug and spinning applications and also dead bait fishing.
    • Progressive action
    • Lined guides
    • Screw winch reel fitting
    • Spigot joint system
    • LIne clip

Advertisement