Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which grant should i apply for?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi, i was 23 in march, i have been getting one parent family payment for the last 5 years, i have not lived at home since 2005, i'm starting a PLC in september, can i keep my OPFP and apply for the VEC grant, or do i have to apply for BTEA? i am hoping to go to WIT next year if everything goes to plan. at the moment im getting €225 a week and rent allowance , will i still get this amount if i get BTEA? i would rather stay on OPFP and apply for the grant if possible, can anyone out there give me some info, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Andrea88

hi ya
    i'm kind of in the same situation
    what i have found out is that you will lose your rent supplement if you apply for the grant.
    you are better off applying for btea as you will keep opf and your rent so i think all you need to apply for is the fees part of btea and the 500euro start off fund to get your books and all that.
    you must have your course secured before you apply ie;that you are on the list as starting in september. you must get a letter from the college to state you are registered (that you paid your fee) or a letter from the college stating that you have a place secured but have not paid the fee (in this case you will get btea faster)
    you must send it off to sligo (your application)
    check out www.welfare.ie for more info
    hth

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hi, i was 23 in march, i have been getting one parent family payment for the last 5 years, i have not lived at home since 2005, i'm starting a PLC in september, can i keep my OPFP and apply for the VEC grant, or do i have to apply for BTEA? i am hoping to go to WIT next year if everything goes to plan. at the moment im getting €225 a week and rent allowance , will i still get this amount if i get BTEA? i would rather stay on OPFP and apply for the grant if possible, can anyone out there give me some info, thanks

Apply for the BTEA AND the maintenance grant - You should still get rent allowance and OFPF with the BTEA - I think if you applied for the maintenance grant these would both be cut off

If you get the BTEA you won't get a grant payment but it will pay for your registration fees so you should apply for it too

Info on BTEA http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

Info on grant http://www.studentfinance.ie/

The grant deadline is 31st August so try and get the form in ASAP - even if you don't have everything required - send it in anyway

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭starburst87

thanks for the info, i have the btea form filled out and i have a letter to say i've got a place so i will send them off 2mora and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

thanks for the info, i have the btea form filled out and i have a letter to say i've got a place so i will send them off 2mora and see what happens

Ok - as I said - you should apply for the grant as well - in order to get the fees paid - They are about €1500

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Ok - as I said - you should apply for the grant as well - in order to get the fees paid - They are about €1500

That depends on where you are doing the PLC, I did one last year with no registration fees near €1500.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

OP, Well done on making the decision to go back to education.

It was the best thing I ever done after having my son, and I graduated with my degree when he was 4.

It will be tough at times, but if you have support from friends and family you will be fine, and just keep thinking that you are doing it for yourself and your kids future!!

When I went back I got a grant and kept my OPF payment too.
    I did have to take out a loan to cover his childcare fees though, so if you could get the full top up grant and/or the BTEA you should be fine. To be eligible for the latter I think you have to have been on social welfare for 2 years prior to applying. Id say you should be fine to apply for it all.

Best of luck with the studies!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Just one thing to remember the grant is no longer available to those in receipt of BTEA.

Advertisement