Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

captcha tutorial

Options
  • 19-08-2010 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

looking for a verification captcha tutorial form my form - any ideas on a good link would be great - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Just use for a 3rd party's solution like reCAPTCHA from Google - it's incredibly effective at stopping spam and fake registrations.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

i have a php form - how do i add the recaptcha to my form after i sign up

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Google has quite a detailed guide on how to use reCAPTCHA...
    http://code.google.com/apis/recaptcha/docs/php.html

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

hi - i got the captacha thing to show up - dont thik it works as when i add wrong letters it still goes - how do i get it workin

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭worc

Just an FYI, but captchas are bad and you're better off using the honeypot method of having a part of the form hidden from real people but visible to bots - the bot fills in the part of the form hidden and you know that it wasn't a real person.

You could just embed a form from Wufoo which solves all your problems - they have the honeypots built into their forms and you can completely edit it to fit your site's styles. Been using them for a while now and not once piece of spam has come through.

• Advertisement

worc wrote: »
    Just an FYI, but captchas are bad and you're better off using the honeypot method of having a part of the form hidden from real people but visible to bots - the bot fills in the part of the form hidden and you know that it wasn't a real person.

You could just embed a form from Wufoo which solves all your problems - they have the honeypots built into their forms and you can completely edit it to fit your site's styles. Been using them for a while now and not once piece of spam has come through.

They may be bad for conversion rates but they're bloody great for preventing spam.

Honeypots aren't without their own issues - they also trap users with screen readers.

cormee wrote: »
    They may be bad for conversion rates but they're bloody great for preventing spam.

Honeypots aren't without their own issues - they also trap users with screen readers.

The field can be labeled so the text will be read out so they don't trap those users. Given a Captcha completely blocks a user with a screen reader and that even ones with audio alternatives are terrible, I can't see the benefit of a captcha over a honeypot.

If you're set on a Captcha you can do that with wufoo too I think - upto you of course.

worc wrote: »
    The field can be labeled so the text will be read out so they don't trap those users. Given a Captcha completely blocks a user with a screen reader and that even ones with audio alternatives are terrible, I can't see the benefit of a captcha over a honeypot.

If you're set on a Captcha you can do that with wufoo too I think - upto you of course.

They both have their pros and cons.

What do you mean the ones with audio alternatives are terrible? The reCAPTCHA audio alternative is excellent, I've tried it a good few time and never failed once, I probably have a higher success rate using it than the visual CAPTCHA. It also works perfectly well with JAWS and other screen readers.

Using captcha means everyone has to use the thing, screen reader or not - when I see one I don't bother contacting the person unless it's very important - hence lower conversion rates.

I personally think the audio ones are terrible, having to press a button to have a computer read out some numbers to you is ridiculous in my mind when all you want to do is contact a person, especially when there are alternatives.

By using the honeypot method then your standard users won't have their time wasted by filling out some additional form and a screen reader will simply read out the label you give it saying "Leave this field blank". It might only add a few more seconds to the time it takes someone to contact you but it really gets up people's nose at times.

I've been using the honeypot without any captcha for a good while now and have received zero spam.

Advertisement