Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trailer

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I've just bought an 8 x 4 car trailer. The thing is I've not got a garage to store it in an it's going to be outside just covered by a tarpaulin. What's the best way to secure it from theft? Would a wheel lock do the job or is there a better way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Difficult to do, am sorry to say.

I have seen a double axle trailer with 2 wheel locks being towed from a garden by a 4 by 4

If u can secure the hitch say using a quality motor bike chain and lock, say fixed to a ring buried in a concrete block...

The other idea I have seen is along the lines of what are used on gates where the lock is inserted from underneath into a welded box so as the lock can not be easily cut or belted

The case I saw was the quy had cast a towbar knob into a block of concrete and the hitch was locked to it, then the welded box I describe was hinged down over it and locked for underneath.

What ever you do have the hitch way from the road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Remove the wheels, thats a start, and as Carlow52 says cement a big eyebolt into the ground and use big heavy chain and lock to secure it to that.
    You can't really stop people stealing stuff but making it hard for them usua;;y works.
    Use your car to block it in as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Thanks for the replies guys, the wheel lock will have to do for now, it can't be seen from the road at least. hopefully I can get something like a steel shed soon enough to store it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

one more thing to keep in mind is, do not leave the hand brake on while it being store as the brakes can seize in days, best of luck securing your trailer, i've had 2 robbed in the past and a 3rd attempted, all while in differents gated premises,

i was told a few years ago by westwood trailers that they sold 1 stolen replacement every week on average

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Jaysus, i think i'm definately going to have to lock it away securely in a shed then, either that or get myself a couple of rottweilers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭youtheman

On the subject of stolen trailers. Guy at work told me an interesting story. He and a friend were walking by a Transit Van owned by a certain ‘minority’ group. His friend says “do you spot anything odd about that ball hitch”. He couldn’t see anything obvious. Then it was pointed that the ‘ball’ was ground flat on one side. It was then explained that this allowed the transit van to approach a trailer that had the ‘socket’ locked (not sure what its called), at 90 degrees, whereby the ‘locked’ trailer could be connected to the ball hitch. When the van straightened up the hitch and trailer were successfully secured. Have to admire their ingenuity !!!!

Advertisement