Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC try to ban Stig book

Options
  • 19-08-2010 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Poor Stiggy wants his slice of the pie and Auntie won't let him.
    The BBC is fighting to keep Top Gear's mystery driver The Stig from revealing his identity.

The corporation has launched a legal bid to stop the faceless show favourite - who speeds around a race track with a blackened visor - writing his autobiography.

BBC lawyers claim he is subject to a confidentiality agreement and unmasking himself would spoil viewers' enjoyment of the BBC Two programme, which is one of the channel's most popular.

The Stig famously takes to the track in an assortment of cars, as well as training celebrities to set lap times in Top Gear's popular "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" segment.

According to the BBC, his autobiography breaches "agreed contractual and confidentiality obligations" relating to the programme".

Clad in race overalls and a helmet, the driver's identity has long been a closely-guarded show secret, spawning T-shirts emblazoned with slogans like "My Dad is The Stig".

Only a handful of executives and Top Gear presenters Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are said to know who he is.

Several racing drivers have been linked to the role, including former Formula One world champions Damon Hill and Michael Schumacher.

Clarkson and his fellow presenters have all enjoyed spin-off success from Top Gear, such as books and other TV work.

The current Stig is the show's second. The original, Perry McCarthy, was dropped after his identity was discovered.

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2010, All Rights Reserved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

I think they are right to not allow him to publish the book. I suppose if he does it will be time for a new Stig!

Some say the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nürburgring....

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wowreally?

the stig was sacked for posting it in his biography, at the moment the stigg is Michael Schumaker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

He'd be quite clever taking time of from F1 to fly into Dunsfort Aerodrome and do a days filming and fly out again without anyone spotting something was up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

the stig was sacked for posting it in his biography, at the moment the stigg is Michael Schumaker

I seriously doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is a publicity stunt. The Stig doesn't seem to be one man, his driving style seems to vary the odd time if you watch closely. Why would his identity continually be kept secret, even after "revealing" his identity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Its obviously Rubens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭veXual

Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

EnterNow wrote: »
    I seriously doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing is a publicity stunt. The Stig doesn't seem to be one man, his driving style seems to vary the odd time if you watch closely. Why would his identity continually be kept secret, even after "revealing" his identity?

I agree about the possibility of multiple Stigs actually. And not just because of the fat one from the American episode etc, either lol.

This sounds like a publicity stunt to me TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

It has been multiple people,
    For most of the stunts/acting/trips/SIARPC and other small driving stuff its been Ben Collins.

If they have on an expensive super car (lets say Ferrari) then they will send there own test driver to do the lap and put him in the Stig costume.

Thats at least the most accepted answer over on FinalGear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Also - the guy who jumped off a skijump on a snowmobile was definitely, defniitely not the regular stig (unless its Mika hakkinien....:D)

Advertisement