Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plugging a hole between flue and register plate

Options
  • 19-08-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

The hole in the register plate is about 2"-3" wider than the flue. The builder filled the gap between the flue and the register plate with fiberglass(as used in an attic).

My questions are....can I leave the fibreglass in place and just cement over with fire cement, or will the heat from the flue be to much for the fibreglass and represent a fire hazard? I'm thinking if the heat is to much the fiberglass will only melt and by that stage the fire cement will have set hard. The stove is a wood burner(but considering a multi fuel kit).

Thanks,
    B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What do you mean by register plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

In a traditional chimney the opening is a certain width(couple of feet wide). When you install a stove into the fireplace, a plate(steel/block) is used to block off the opening so as to accomodate the stove flue(5/6/7..inches in wide) - in other words you dont need a 2 foot opening to accomodate a 7inch flue. This plate is generally called a register plate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hi,

The hole in the register plate is about 2"-3" wider than the flue. The builder filled the gap between the flue and the register plate with fiberglass(as used in an attic).

My questions are....can I leave the fibreglass in place and just cement over with fire cement, or will the heat from the flue be to much for the fibreglass and represent a fire hazard? I'm thinking if the heat is to much the fiberglass will only melt and by that stage the fire cement will have set hard. The stove is a wood burner(but considering a multi fuel kit).

Thanks,
    B.

In general not good detailing:)
    the final answer will depend on the answers below to my few questions if I may ( I am assuming the pic is from your job)

how far up past the register plate does the flue go?
    what material is the register plate made from?
    What provision have you made for cleaning flue and removal of soot?

ps it should be possible to have a much closer fit that 2-3 inches, we can get back to how once u respond

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There are adapter plates you can get for fitting 5 or 6 inch steel flues into 9 liners one of them might work for you.

Advertisement