Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query re Tax relief on fees

Options
  • 19-08-2010 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

I found out the other day that I'm not entitled to claim tax back on my fees because I haven't worked in 20 months. I was wondering, if I were to give the money to my mother to pay my fees and get her to claim the tax back (she has been working), would this affect her tax credits in any way? To the tax office it would look as though she had paid my fees (whereas it will be my money) so does that affect her in any way? She's a lone parent who works part time. Because my fees cost so much it would mean getting €1000 back and that's too much money for me to not get back. Does anyone know if this would work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it probably would work - not 100% certain though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Thanks Johnny. Might give the tax office a ring and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Caoimh37

fionav3 wrote: »
    I found out the other day that I'm not entitled to claim tax back on my fees because I haven't worked in 20 months. I was wondering, if I were to give the money to my mother to pay my fees and get her to claim the tax back (she has been working), would this affect her tax credits in any way? To the tax office it would look as though she had paid my fees (whereas it will be my money) so does that affect her in any way? She's a lone parent who works part time. Because my fees cost so much it would mean getting €1000 back and that's too much money for me to not get back. Does anyone know if this would work?

hey kind of in the same situation - would really like to know what the tax office said to you? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 rlow68

Do anybody know the best month of the year to send in the student fee tax relief application to the Internal Revenue, and when the payment normally take place?
    An answer will be appreciated please.

rlow68 wrote: »
    Do anybody know the best month of the year to send in the student fee tax relief application to the Internal Revenue, and when the payment normally take place?
    An answer will be appreciated please.

Send it in any time and it should be roughly a month or so - http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

I just called tax office about this, they said to submit tax relief from at the end of the tax year.. that is January...

Can anybody explain how exactly do they calculate the tax back? ty! I'm confused...

Yuugib wrote: »
    I just called tax office about this, they said to submit tax relief from at the end of the tax year.. that is January...

Can anybody explain how exactly do they calculate the tax back? ty! I'm confused...

They give you 20% back

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Caoimh37 wrote: »
    hey kind of in the same situation - would really like to know what the tax office said to you? thanks

Called into the tax office about this and my mother is only working part time so she's not paying tax so she can't claim. But if you know someone working full time, they can pay your fees in their name and claim the tax back and it doesn't affect their tax credits.

Advertisement