Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To Prius or not to Prius

Options
  • 19-08-2010 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I'm considering buying one but watched several not too complimentary reviews and would love to know some real life experiences of people who own or know someone who owns one, thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Have you considered the 1.5 Litre Honda CR-Z Hybrid., and its a manual gear box! An eco sporty coupe! Its available in the UK!

Dont know when its here!

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/cr-z/

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what do you want/need out of a car? whats your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

The new model is supposed to be much better than the old one.

But get a VW passat bluemotion instead or a diesel. They'll do the 70mpg the Prius claims it'll do but doesn't.

The CR-Z does look very nice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

But get a VW passat bluemotion instead or a diesel. They'll do the 70mph the Prius claims it'll do but doesn't.

Down hill with the wind behind them !!:D

• Advertisement

A prius will do 160kmph

homer90 wrote: »
    Down hill with the wind behind them !!:D

I meant 70mpg, but it could very possibly be true about the 70mph as well!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'm considering buying one but watched several not too complimentary reviews and would love to know some real life experiences of people who own or know someone who owns one, thanks :D

I don't own one, but a friend of mine sells them for a living.

Most over-rated yoke on the road.

Even a new 318d outperforms it in every respect. Economy, comfort, style, emissions (iirc, that is...).

I can't think of a single good reason to own one. Now, if it did 120mpg or something, maybe, but, that's not going to happen........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jock101 wrote: »
    ., and its a manual gear box!
    You say that like it's a good thing. The only good thing about the Prius is it's an auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I got a 07 T-Spirit about two months ago.
    So far I can't fault it, and my partner loves it.
    I drive it as I would a normal car and regularly return over 60mpg without trying.
    It's true that it's not the 'be-all and end-all' that Toyota hoped it would be, but it does what it was designed to do very well.
    My advice would be to get a good test drive in one, at least an hour's worth, and put it through as many different driving conditions as you can. Then you can make your own mind up.
    Different strokes for different folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Stekelly wrote: »
    You say that like it's a good thing. The only good thing about the Prius is it's an auto.

Manual Gears are far more rewarding for a Driver! Especially on back roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

it's a nice car to drive...completely different to anything I've ever driven - I suppose thats the automatic/hybrid thing.

Think of this, VRT is dirt cheap - importing an '06 is only 280euros.

try get the 1.8 litre version if going for an '08 or later, that'll give you a more pokey car with similar emissions. And if you have the cash, try get a new '10 model.

Shop around, look for a T4 in the UK, T3 is the standard model sold here but not badged. The T4 or Tspirit will give you stuff like cruise control and for no real extra price if buying in the UK.

Have a look here for the different versions - having climate control and cruise control is a real benefit, plus look for ones with a leather pack.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Toyota/Prius/results-Toyota-Prius.asp

FYI, I have been to Car Giant in London, its a car supermarket, the price you see is the price you pay i.e. no haggling - found this out the embarassing way!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Not if you're in a Prius!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

:confused:

He's asking about a prius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

They're not that great

wait for opel ampera?

For the Irish spec Prius, here's a quick run down on what they have

Prius Standard model
    6 speaker stereo, single CD, touch screen, remote audion controls
    Remote locking, double locking, alarm
    4 Electric windows & mirrors
    Alloys
    Leather steering wheel & 3.5mm audio input on facelift models
    Luxury Pack
    9 speaker JBL stereo, front foglights, cruise control

Leather pack
    Leather, park camera and self parking, satnav

What complete rubbish.

The only reason manual's are standard, on this side of hte Atlantic, is price. Cheap to make, cheap to sell, cheap to fix. It has nothing to do with driving, of any kind.

And my 163,000 mile Tiptronic, 17-yr old Porsche puts 'driving' at the top of the list, as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Chippy01 wrote: »
    I drive it as I would a normal car and regularly return over 60mpg without trying.

A really heavy petrol car doing 60mpg? Is this some figure that appears on a display or have you calculated the consumption from maps or distance travelled etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

316d or 318d ftw. twice the car of the prius and you can see 80+mpg in them

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

A Driver would not buy a Prius.

• Advertisement

Joe 90 wrote: »

you're right. when i think of a prius 'driver' this image of an office worker comes to mind, someone with big ideas about how mere humans are incompetent and should not be allowed to drive a 'ton of metal' or pump Co2 into the atmosphere and should rather just stay in their apartment soaking up endless hours of Web 2.0 content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭1948Wolseley

galwaytt wrote: »
    The only reason manual's are standard, on this side of hte Atlantic, is price. Cheap to make, cheap to sell, cheap to fix. It has nothing to do with driving, of any kind.

And my 163,000 mile Tiptronic, 17-yr old Porsche puts 'driving' at the top of the list, as well.

True that. Technology-wise, manuals were out of date by 1946, but they sure are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

colm_mcm wrote: »
    what do you want/need out of a car? whats your budget?

This. A lot of people like the Prius and a lot of people don't. Just like lots of other cars out there.

Take one for a test drive and see how it feels. As it's an automatic it's a bit different to drive than a manual, and that may or may not suit you. As it's a hybrid it's a bit different to drive too, and that may or may not suit you.

In general it's a comfortable car which will give you good mpg ( no, you won't get the advertised figures but no car gives you the advertised figures, the system they're based on isn't the same as real world driving ). If you drive in a controlled way you'll get better mpg then if you don't, just like any other car. It has some decent specs ( Cruise Control, Multi-CD Changer, Climate Control etc. ). It's quite spacious inside, though as it's a hatchback the boot isn't huge.

You will find other cars on the market that are bigger, or smaller, or faster, or slower etc., it all comes down to what you like. How it looks to you is important too. You can be as practical as you want, and find a car that ticks all your requirements, but if you don't like the look if it you probably won't buy it...

If you do have some criteria in mind ( like a certain year, 4 doors, saloon, whatever ) then have a look online and see what you can find to match that and take it from there. Use a site like HonestJohn to get some idea about the pros and cons about the car. And go for test drives!

J.

galwaytt wrote: »
    What complete rubbish.

thats more than enough of a reason for me :) tiptronic is that flappy paddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Chippy01

squod wrote: »
    A really heavy petrol car doing 60mpg? Is this some figure that appears on a display or have you calculated the consumption from maps or distance travelled etc?

I fill the tank to the brim, reset the trip computer and the onboard calculator.
    Drive until the tank is about half empty (or half full, depending on your perspective).
    Re-fill the tank to the brim, noting the distance covered, and the amount of fuel needed to re-fill.
    Do the necesary conversions and there you have it.
    I've been calculating fuel useage this way for years, and it's as acurate as I need it to be.
    The figure that appears on the cars' mpg display has always been within 0.2 mpg of my own figures (ie - my calculations 62.4mpg, car computer 64.2mpg +/- 0.2).
    Even so, I still do my own calculations at every fill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

As a for instance, last week I did 524 (m/way) miles and burned 45 litres of diesel. I reckon that's about 52mpg (UK). That was in a '02 TDDI Mondeo.
    Ancient yoke, any newer diesel would beat that real easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Joe 90 wrote: »

yeah youre right a passenger would rather buy a prius! what kind of statement is that, prius is one of the most technology advanced car on the road (new model especially with the reduced inverter size) and all other hybrid cars on market are based on older toyota technology which they sold them (honda and nissan) i know the prius indeptly and the concepts created for these cars are unrivaled really..

^Doesn't make the car any more interesting to drive...

Now the Porsche 918 Spyder, that's a hybrid I'm really looking forward towards...!

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    prius is one of the most technology advanced car on the road (new model especially with the reduced inverter size)

or maybe just overcomplicated

• Advertisement

thats more than enough of a reason for me :) tiptronic is that flappy paddle?

Flappy, yes, paddle, no!

Pre PS2 generation, see ? :p

Slot gearlever over, and it's up for up, and down for down.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement