Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Finalists

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

With the home and away fixtures coming to an end, and the finals looming. who do you think will be in the grand final? and who do you think will win?

My bet on a Geelong V Collingwood final. Even though the saints have come back after their slump, i just dont see them getting there.
    Probably bulldogs or hawks in the semi's too. Sydney, Carlton and Freo (:()dont really have what it takes to take down the big boys IMO.

As for the winners, my money's on Geelong again. ( more because i hate collingwood):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I'd go for a Geelong-Collingwood final as well.. with the Saints and Hawks the most likely to gatecrash the party. I can't see the Bulldogs or Freo having enough go too far in the Finals

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's hard to look past Geelong reallly. Collingwood had a bit of a wobble at the weekend and the Hawks may come good but it's the Cats for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

I think Collingwood will do it this year and it will be a Collingwood V Geelong final. Saw St Kilda yesterday and they were very poor. Riewoldt was atrocious and they really found it difficult to get out of defence. Scoring 5-7 against the crows is not grand final winning form. Cant see any other team getting close. Maybe Hawthorn to get to semis???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Maybe Hawthorn to get to semis???

Not if Freo have anything to do about it :D

cracking weekend of football so far, a few upsets but i think thats just due to collingwood and the saints having their spots sealed already and not wanting any injuries going into the finals. My money's still on Geelong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

Obviously it looks at the moments as if it should be a Collingwood Geelong final, but I have a feeling there'll be at least one upset along the way. Hawks, Freo, Dogs and St Kilda are all very dangerous opponents. Even Sydney could cause a surprise, they're in good form and have a lot of finals experience.

Here's hoping for Collingwood premiers though :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

only watched the Saints Geelong game from Friday night, but what a game! The intensity and speed of it waas unreal. Some amount of talking points from it, but hard to start anywhere else than the last minute and Lings disallowed goal that would have won the game for the Cats. Personally, I think it was an extremely harsh call on Mooney. As much as I think he is a knob, I think it was an awfully soft free. The comms were saying, yes, it was in the back, and it was a free, but there are tackles like that the whole time, and for such a crucial time, it was harsh

bruschi wrote: »
    only watched the Saints Geelong game from Friday night, but what a game! The intensity and speed of it waas unreal. Some amount of talking points from it, but hard to start anywhere else than the last minute and Lings disallowed goal that would have won the game for the Cats. Personally, I think it was an extremely harsh call on Mooney. As much as I think he is a knob, I think it was an awfully soft free. The comms were saying, yes, it was in the back, and it was a free, but there are tackles like that the whole time, and for such a crucial time, it was harsh

It was a bit harsh, but it was a foul. The whistle had gone before Lyng had kicked so fair decision IMO.
    Great game though, and the Sydney v. Carlton was another cracker. neck and neck till the final siren. Gotta love finals footy :)

I had the pleasure of going to the Fremantle v. Hawthorn game on saturday, Fantastic win by the Dockers, the crowd was amazing! Sent them cocky hawks crawling back to melbourne! I was wrong to doubt the dockers, as was everyone. Bring on Geelong this friday. Hopefully be another upset by our young kids :D

Freo haven't a hope against Geelong. I'm nailing my flag to the mast early here and saying the Cats will win by at least 35.

They better anyway otherwise I may have to book a flight out of Perth! :D

Thats what everyone said about them against the hawks, look how that turned out :cool:

Nah anyone who knows footy said that the Dockers were always a chance at home. They're starting to use Subi the way the Eagles did c. 2005 and making it a really difficult place to come and win.

The fact that Luke Hodge was playing injured and Rioli did a hammy helped as well.

• Advertisement

Sandilands was injured for most of the game too. And we're missing 3 of our top players, Tarrant, Barlow and Ballantyne.

I agree though, its pretty hard to beat the Dockers at home.
    Still doesnt mean that we dont have a hope against Geelong. The odds are against us ill admit, but its not impossible

Geelong will hammer Freo. I'm nailing my colours to the mast here too! No chance for them!!! ;)

bruschi wrote: »
    Geelong will hammer Freo. I'm nailing my colours to the mast here too! No chance for them!!! ;)

Yeah sorry Mackman, I can't see anything other than a fairly big Geelong win.

Although if Sandi pulls out one of his 45 hit out games and it lashes rain then anything can happen!

Swans to beat the Dogs in the other one to set up two belters next weekend.

ah lads :(
    i guess im on my own so. Im gonna stay annoyingly optomistic though :D

Oh yeah, im goin for Sydney to thump the Dogs too

Yeah hoping Sydney smash them. It's the least that backstabber Johnson deserves in his last game for the Dogs. That'll teach him to shaft Aker!

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah hoping Sydney smash them. It's the least that backstabber Johnson deserves in his last game for the Dogs. That'll teach him to shaft Aker!

he's one player I never took to, and I dont know why. I know he's a legend with 300 odd games for the dogs and being their leader and captain and all, but for some reason I just plain dont like the guy. Maybe its his stupid looking cheeks that go all red and puffy when he plays, or his stupid run where he takes about 20 little steps to go about 2 metres. When he missed that shot against the Roos after the siren which would have own the game and he fired his gum shield into the ground, I was laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Come on the swans..great to see bradshaw back..have really lacked someone to kick few goals....they have a very good chance against the dogs.
    Still fancy Geelong but St Kilda do have great motivation to go one better than last year....if the swans beat the dogs should be interesting game against Kilda...collingwood have been good but as has been seen have been v inaccurate...shud be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Cats all the way

Bloody better be...:)

One quarter down. So far so good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

Hi all,
    I'm a brutal tipster but I really fancy the Dogs to beat Sydney.
    By 20+.

I know, I know!!

• Advertisement

Freo haven't a hope against Geelong. I'm nailing my flag to the mast early here and saying the Cats will win by at least 35.

Lol I was way off with a 35 point margin ;)

Next Friday night will be a belter.

I didn't see any of it, but from looking at the stats it looks like Freo were absolutely murdered in the midfield by the Cats. In hindsight, comparing the two teams (particularly the respective midfields) there was only gonna be one result in a do or die game.

Can't wait for next week now, might have to take the day off work to watch it. Something similar to 2007 with a reversal of the result would do very nicely ;)

Well that was embarassing :o

Fair play to Geelong though, played us off the pitch. Freo just didnt show up in the first quarter, and it killed us.

Pies V. Cats next week, should be a great game

really annoying, ESPN only showed the Freo Geelong game this weekend. the other game sounded like a cracker, maybe not high quality or scoring, but a close finish always means it is intense. To be honest, I am suprised enough to see the dogs win. They looked absolutely awful against Collingwood.

As for Freo! suppose not a whole lot I can say about a team who lose in the finals considering I follow the Eagles!

Should be good games next week. Geelong and Collingwood shapes up to be a right good game. The dogs I think can take St Kilda, and I still think the overall winner might come from the pies/cats game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

87 -23 mappies in the 3rd.

Disaster in progress:(

Zambia232 wrote: »
    87 -23 mappies in the 3rd.

Disaster in progress:(

What a win, absolutely delighted :D

I don't think anyone could have expected that, Geelong just never got going and once we had the shooting boots on there was only ever gonna be one winner. Ablett was unreal even in defeat, 40 touches with no support just shows how good he is. Hope to see him over here for the International Rules in October.

Leigh Brown I take it all back, proving all the doubters wrong and scores one of the most bizarre goals ever seen at the G!

More chance of seeing Ablett on the Gold Coast than in Dublin :D

More chance of seeing Ablett on the Gold Coast than in Dublin :D

Yeah I was surprised but apparently he's up for it

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/next-stop-for-gary-ablett-ireland/story-e6frf9jf-1225924290274

Bartel and Varcoe as well, apparently Goodes and Kieran Jack (who I think is absolute quality) will be in the squad also. That's a pretty decent start from the Aussies so we'll be up against it

Advertisement