Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHAT KAYAK SHOULD I START OUT WITH

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am starting out in the sport of kayaking i wonder if anyone could advise me on what kind of kayak would be good for flat water and rivers,

i am open to all suggestions but i dont want to spend excessive amounts on my first kayak.

Could anyone suggest a model for me ...i live in Kilarney.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Hi Donadonie.

You are dead right not to spend much money on a boat to start off with, you have all the accessories too, paddle, buoyancy aid, cag, spraydeck, gear etc... The best thing you can do is join a club and see if the sport suits you. That way you will get to paddle for very little money. Last thing you want to do is buy a boat and it turns out to be designed for a certain discipline, like rodeo or slalom. A novice might find it hard to keep these boats upright.

The club or instructor will also teach you vital strokes, tips, energy saving paddling, skills that you need when kayaking, I know Killarney well and we know how shockingly quick fog, wind, weather rolls in. What to wear is important too.

Your size and weight will also be a factor, what you want to do with it also (fish, sprint, long distance, down river....) wether you want to go fibre glass or plastic. All will make a difference too.

Sorry for not coming out with a certain make and model. I am not well up on the later boats out at the moment and as I said, there are a lot of factors to be considered.

www.canoe.ie

There doesn't seem to be a club near you, but the union might put you in touch with a local instructor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

If ur in Kilarney Give Nathan in outdoorsireland.com a shout he will teach you and advise u on kit and boats.

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10 donadonie

thank you very much for the suggestion i have heard a lot about him and all good comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 donadonie

thanks very much john i am heading out on the lakes next week with CAPPANALEA outdoor centre the PRICE is very reasonable ..so a gang of eight of us are heading out with an instructor ..CANT WAIT

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

donadonie wrote: »
    ..CANT WAIT

Brilliant stuff Donalonie, I'm slightly jealous now! You will love it, seeing Ireland from the sea, rivers canals and lakes is an amazing experience. Totally different perspective, the views, sights and wildlife is exceptional. You are lucky enough to live within reach of stunning stunning lakes, great to see people using them. Learning properly with an instructor will give you massive advantages than just heading out. He/she will give you loads of tips, tricks and knowledge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement