Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitlement to Free Fees

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey Guys.
    I received a letter today informing me that I might not be eligible for Free Fees Initiative.

My situation is as follows.

In 2008, I completed the Leaving Cert.
    I applied for Bar Management on the CAO.
    I accepted this with the idea that I could afford to go.
    Unfortunately, I was not able to afford to go. So I called the college and canceled BEFORE the course started.
    I did NOT pay any fees, I did NOT attend any classes or even visit the college, and I let the college know in advance that I was unable to attend.
    Now, after having done a PLC (not through the CAO), in Liberal Arts, I have chosen to undergo an Arts degree in NUIM.
    I was under the impression that I would not have to pay full fees for this. I am not eligible for a grant.

Does this mean I am still eligible for the free fees? If so, how do I fill in the blue form that was sent out.

I am already under a great amount of stress in order to get the money for Registration Fees. If I have to pay full fees then I cannot afford to go to college.

I have emailed the college and tried to ring but I can't get any answer yet. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hey Guys.
    I received a letter today informing me that I might not be eligible for Free Fees Initiative.

what did the letter say?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hey Guys.

My situation is as follows.

In 2008, I completed the Leaving Cert.
    I applied for Bar Management on the CAO.
    I accepted this with the idea that I could afford to go.
    Unfortunately, I was not able to afford to go. So I called the college and canceled BEFORE the course started.
    I did NOT pay any fees, I did NOT attend any classes or even visit the college, and I let the college know in advance that I was unable to attend.
    Now, after having done a PLC (not through the CAO), in Liberal Arts, I have chosen to undergo an Arts degree in NUIM.
    I was under the impression that I would not have to pay full fees for this. I am not eligible for a grant.

Does this mean I am still eligible for the free fees? If so, how do I fill in the blue form that was sent out.

I am already under a great amount of stress in order to get the money for Registration Fees. If I have to pay full fees then I cannot afford to go to college.

I have emailed the college and tried to ring but I can't get any answer yet. I'm just wondering if anyone knows anything about this.

Thanks.

You have to appreciate this is their busiest time of the year, so things will take longer. But whatever happens accept the offer of the place. Fees can be sorted out later. It seems to me it is an oversight, i would contact your local vec and also your local td. They get replys much quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 flightlessbird

So they sent me out two letters. One blue form which requires my details and such. And then one letter explaining the situation.

At the top of the letter it says:

"We note from the CAO records that you previously applied, accepted and/or attended a place at another university/college."

So, that had me worried. Particularly the 'and/or'.

Then I went on to read...

"If you have previously ATTENDED University/College please ensure that you have the enclosed form signed and stamped by the University/College you attended verifying that the information provided is correct." (EDIT: oh the attended was not caps, if it was, i'd be less concerned)

So I'm hoping it's an oversight as ANXIOUS just wrote. Just wondering if anyone knows anything here. I've already e-mailed everywhere that I possibly can I think. So hopefully tomorrow an e-mail will arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So they sent me out two letters. One blue form which requires my details and such. And then one letter explaining the situation.

At the top of the letter it says:

"We note from the CAO records that you previously applied, accepted and/or attended a place at another university/college."

So, that had me worried. Particularly the 'and/or'.

Then I went on to read...

"If you have previously ATTENDED University/College please ensure that you have the enclosed form signed and stamped by the University/College you attended verifying that the information provided is correct." (EDIT: oh the attended was not caps, if it was, i'd be less concerned)

So I'm hoping it's an oversight as ANXIOUS just wrote. Just wondering if anyone knows anything here. I've already e-mailed everywhere that I possibly can I think. So hopefully tomorrow an e-mail will arrive.
    To be honest I don't think it's a problem at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement