Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about getting work experience?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

Going into TY this year and I need to have my experience sorted out for the second week or something.

So i was wandering how I go about this, do i send them a letter/email or do I go in and ask or what?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I think it would be best to go and speak directly to the employer and tell them your situation if you can, always nicer to meet face to face rather than a e-mail / letter.

That is what I did any way when I was in TY many many moons ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clo4cb

I e-mailed the restaurant I want to go to first just to make sure I wasn't wasting my time going somewhere where I'd get shut down straight away. Then they sent me back an e-mail telling me to come in so they talk to me about what I'd be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Depends on where your going. Shops and offices ring in advance and ask do they have any work experience placements and if they say yes send them in a cover letter and a CV. If you drop into the shop in person make sure you are dressed properly. Not a suit or anything but no messy hair or tracksuits! :P Don't bother with emails, they tend to get lost and never looked at again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

I have just finished TY and one thing about work experience is:
    phone calls are never returned, emails never get a reply. everyone I know has found this as well. letters always get answered. just start off with
    I will be gonig inot transition year in [name your school] this september.I have a great interest in[whatever] and would like to know would it be possible if I could do a weeks work experience in the week of [1-5 feb. or whenever],i enjoy playing sports and won [perfect attendence, best grades ect.]my favourite subjects for my jc were[] and i look forward to getting a good jc. i am highly reliable ect.my facvourite aspect of the work of a [doctor ect] is [surgery] and i would love to learn more about it.

end with
    I would gratefully appriciate and work experience or advice you could offer me.
    yours sincerely,

always give address, email, mobile, home phone if possible

I did six weeks work experience and seriously dont waste it. a bit of effort could yield a great experience. tcd, ucd and dcu are really good at taking people, just look up the website and write to the appropriate department.
    people in my year got to see live surgery in james and go to a buring house with the fire bridgade. AVOID gonig to busineeses as they will treat you as free labour and make you file or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Either ring them, email them or speak directly.

When I was looking for mine I rang and got a yes answer straight away :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Email or write them a letter, if you dont get some form of response after a week or two, follow it up with a phone call.

Advertisement