Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone got a Desire from Meteor this week?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Meteor are supposed to have recieved a batch this week... I'm curious to see if anyone has got one yet? Also.. has it got the new SLCD screen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

they will have the slcd...its 100% as the screen was the reason they were out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Here's my story ,

I went in to meteor in Grafton street to ask when they'd get them back in stock. I was expecting the guy to say next week or next month. He said
    "Oh that phone, a Meteor REP came in recently to promote the X10 and the Galaxy S, we asked him about the desire and he said it's unlikely meteor will be receiving any more of that phone due to stock issues"
    :eek:

TBH i call bull**** and i told him the reason they have stock issues is because of the shortage of the screens and they now getting them from Sony, So they should be getting new stock with the new screen.
    "Well since the meteor rep said they won't be coming in we've have to tell people they are not getting any more in
    :mad:

I said what about the people on the waiting list
    Oh were selling alternatives like the X10 and Galaxy S
    He then tried very hard to sell me the Galaxy,Showing me the demo and saying how great it is,

I told him the software is crap compared to sense and said if they get more desires ring me:mad::mad:

I swear i left the place fuming , i MEAN i know more then they do and there supposed to be the professionals

did you say anything new there? Sales reps dont know **** about phones...usually end up walking to a phone shop end up teaching staff about the phone rather than getting info...seems sad that they recruit people by certs and not knowledge and interests

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

I rang up meteor yesterday to ask when they would be back in, I was put through to sales were I was told they should be in at the end of the month, the chap I was talking to was waiting to get one for himself also and he was keeping tabs on when they are suppose to come back in.

did you say anything new there?

What do you Mean?
    did you say anything new there? Sales reps dont know **** about phones...usually end up walking to a phone shop end up teaching staff about the phone rather than getting info...seems sad that they recruit people by certs and not knowledge and interests

Ye they should hire us, With extra pay:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Ye they should hire us, With extra pay:rolleyes:

i like the way you think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

Here's my story ,

I went in to meteor in Grafton street to ask when they'd get them back in stock. I was expecting the guy to say next week or next month. He said

:eek:

TBH i call bull**** and i told him the reason they have stock issues is because of the shortage of the screens and they now getting them from Sony, So they should be getting new stock with the new screen.

:mad:

I said what about the people on the waiting list

He then tried very hard to sell me the Galaxy,Showing me the demo and saying how great it is,

I told him the software is crap compared to sense and said if they get more desires ring me:mad::mad:

I swear i left the place fuming , i MEAN i know more then they do and there supposed to be the professionals

I know exactly how you feel. Sometimes the clowns working in those shops know very little at all. They must have huge staff turnover or F all training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 eyes_alive

Quick update... Herself went in to Meteor in Athlone today & was told that Meteor are getting in 5000 Desire's Mid-September to be distributed across the country... I'd take this with a pinch of salt tho... the same guy told her that he would have one for her this week... you'd never know tho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I spent last weekend trying to track one down with Meteor and/or Carphone Warehouse in Dublin and Waterford - to no avail.

I'll try again later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

meteor in cork got limited stock wednesday just gone

patrick street got 3 fones, all reserved

wilton got 3, all reserved... but i rang on wed morning and lucked out, 1 guy didnt want it.. so the nice girl working there was willing to hold it for me until after work today, picked it up earlier on

they are now all outta stock and apparently will be till september, but who knows they might continue to get drips and drabs in over the coming weeks, its worth it to keep checking, though the staff must be fierce annoyed with all the calls :eek:

not sure if i have a SLCD screen, id be pretty sure i do, the phones box lays no claim to any technology in the screen, it just says 3.7inch touch sensitive screen

its model number is A8181

only had it on 20mins, checked for an update and its downloading ver 2.2 as i type this

i guess i was just very lucky

• Advertisement

BArra wrote: »
    meteor in cork got limited stock wednesday just gone

wilton got 3, all reserved... but i rang on wed morning and lucked out, 1 guy didnt want it.. so the nice girl working there was willing to hold it for me until after work today, picked it up earlier on

they are now all outta stock and apparently will be till september, but who knows they might continue to get drips and drabs in over the coming weeks, its worth it to keep checking, though the staff must be fierce annoyed with all the calls :eek:

not sure if i have a SLCD screen, id be pretty sure i do, the phones box lays no claim to any technology in the screen, it just says 3.7inch touch sensitive screen

its model number is A8181

only had it on 20mins, checked for an update and its downloading ver 2.2 as i type this

i guess i was just very lucky

Check the back of the box if it doesn't say AMOLED on it then it's SLCD. Let us know:rolleyes:

there isnt any mention of AMOLED

as suspected SLCD, not too fussed tbh, hopefully it wont be a major downgrade in screen quality

ive been after a desire for a good few weeks so happy out with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

there isnt any mention of AMOLED

as suspected SLCD, not too fussed tbh, hopefully it wont be a major downgrade in screen quality

ive been after a desire for a good few weeks so happy out with it
    Could you check something out for me? Download any of the multi touch testers off the market and see how many touch points the phone detects.

i got the multitouch vizualizer 2

not sure am i doing what u asked, but im putting as many fingers on the screen as i can, its coming up with 2 points, anymore fingers dont come up

on the 3rd finger press it just zooms in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Have rang around a few Meteor and CPW stores and they don't seem to have any idea when they will be getting new stock in.

I'm quite tempted to just go and buy one on PAYG with o2. Does anyone know whether I can then just put my meteor sim in or will it have to be unlocked first?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

This is true, I was one of those 3 :D

No mention of AMOLED on the box. Must be SLCD so. Whatever it is, it's quite impressive.

This is true, I was one of those 3 :D

No mention of AMOLED on the box. Must be SLCD so. Whatever it is, it's quite impressive.

Attached is what the back of the AMOLED Desire's box looks like.

its def SLCD with the new batches so!

its def SLCD with the new batches so!

Any light leakage ?

do you mean around the edges, as in light bleed?

• Advertisement

do you mean around the edges, as in light bleed?

Sorry should have been more specific:rolleyes: Don't even know if it's called light leakage.

At around 0.53 seconds you see what i call light leaking through the black screen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Sorry should have been more specific:rolleyes: Don't even know if it's called light leakage.

At around 0.53 seconds you see what i call light leaking through the black screen
    You don't need to add a :rolleyes: in every single post you make. Makes you sound seriously condescending.

yeah i think u mean light bleed, happens a lot with LCD tv's...anything lcd based... my latest gen ipod nano has a tiny bit of it

checked my slcd desire there in darkness, there was a tiny bit of it alrite, but hard to notice

You don't need to add a :rolleyes: in every single post you make. Makes you sound seriously condescending.

Sorry :rolleyes:

This is a right pain in the arse! I've been without a phone for 6 weeks waiting for the desires to come back in stock...The way things are going with the desire stock shortages... I think I'll hang on till the Desire HD comes out before I renew my contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

eyes_alive wrote: »
    This is a right pain in the arse! I've been without a phone for 6 weeks waiting for the desires to come back in stock...The way things are going with the desire stock shortages... I think I'll hang on till the Desire HD comes out before I renew my contract...

Why not get the HTC Legend? not quite as good as the desire but still a great phone and available now.

alot of people dont like the form factor of the hero/legend :) some people do :)

Yeah, was looking into getting the Legend but I want something with a bit better spec wise as I'll be stuck with it for a year ( meteor billpay contract )... I'm looking for something that might be able support Android 3 when it comes out... So from what I hear I'll need a IGhz processor minimum... Thanks for the suggestion tho! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Hehe, dont cancel your order for a legend anyway:
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/22/bell-htc-legend-prematurely-put-out-to-pasture-due-to-amoled-sup/

Well, actually it's only Bell Canada that's cancelling it but it looks like HTC is really struggling to meet demand across at least 2 models now

• Advertisement

any one actually knows why htc struggles to get amoleds?

nvm found an answer :P

Advertisement