Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religions & Global Diversity @ UCC?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off to UCC as a mature student in Sept to do Arts. Thinking of doing "Religions & Global Diversity", has anyone else done this course? What's it like? Will also do Politics. Still making my mind up on what else to do! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

marti8 wrote: »
    I'm heading off to UCC as a mature student in Sept to do Arts. Thinking of doing "Religions & Global Diversity", has anyone else done this course? What's it like? Will also do Politics. Still making my mind up on what else to do! Thanks.

Just finished first year and it was one of my subjects. I loved it and found it quite easy. Very nice lecturers and all of them very approachable. I know some people found it tough going but I found the opposite. It's all continuous assessment in first year so there's no end of year exam. Instead you have one 1,500 word essay, one 2,500 essay, a learning journal that you fill in every week for the year and then a 15-20 minute presentation as part of a group. There's a nice overlap with the subject and Sociology. You study a few Philosophers too but mainly the year is about learning about various religions and how to begin the approach to studying them academically.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

Byron85 wrote: »
    Just finished first year and it was one of my subjects. I loved it and found it quite easy. Very nice lecturers and all of them very approachable. I know some people found it tough going but I found the opposite. It's all continuous assessment in first year so there's no end of year exam. Instead you have one 1,500 word essay, one 2,500 essay, a learning journal that you fill in every week for the year and then a 15-20 minute presentation as part of a group. There's a nice overlap with the subject and Sociology. You study a few Philosophers too but mainly the year is about learning about various religions and how to begin the approach to studying them academically.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for that! Hadn't realised there was a group hug project - being a sociopath that might be a bit of a problem, lol. Things are a bit up in the air right now and not even sure if I can start this year, may have to defer (if I still can!) Thanks anyway though : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I took this subject as a first year in the initial year it was offered (2007/8). Its an interesting subject for most who take it. The "Global diversity" aspect of the title is an unnecessary misnomer though IMO. Its strength lies in the broadness of the subject; covering world history, current affairs, theology, philosophy, anthropology and others. Although I found this course weak on past Irish trends but it does allow one to take modules from other depts which are stronger on this topic e.g. Folklore. It may also have improved significantly in this regard since my time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ni.Chofaigh

Hi,

I started this subject the second year it was offered and im heading into third year now. I really enjoy it and find it fascinating. The staff are mostly great, I've had all three members of staff this year but teaching styles do differ greatly.

It helps if you keep an open mind as regards class discussions as I found that opinions and backgrounds of students differ greatly which make things interesting.

i definitely would recommend this course i found it great. i only took religions as i hated french but kept it on as i really enjoyed it.

:)

Think I'll probably go with it, sounds interesting. Thanks for all the information! :)

• Advertisement

By the way, what do they mean when they say you have: 24 x 1hr(s) Seminars; 24hr(s) Directed Study (presentations, learning journal)

Are seminars basically tutorials or what? And "directed study" is what exactly? Does anyone know whether most seminars and directed study is held in the morning, afternoon or evening? Thanks.

You have 2 lectures/seminars a week and 1 tutorial a week. The learning journal and presentations are based in the tutorials. This will be explained in further detail once you get started.

You're given a list of the available times for tutorials and you sign up for whichever one suits you the best. Just remember that it's done on a first come first serve basis. You won't be signing up for them until sometime in October anyway so there's no need to worry about it for the moment.

You have 2 lectures/seminars a week and 1 tutorial a week. The learning journal and presentations are based in the tutorials. This will be explained in further detail once you get started.

You're given a list of the available times for tutorials and you sign up for whichever one suits you the best. Just remember that it's done on a first come first serve basis. You won't be signing up for them until sometime in October anyway so there's no need to worry about it for the moment.

Thanks but it's just says at the book of modules that you have: 48 x 1hr(s) Lectures; 24 x 1hr(s) Seminars; 24hr(s) Directed Study (presentations, learning journal)

So I guess "seminars" are something different to "lectures"?

Thanks but it's just says at the book of modules that you have: 48 x 1hr(s) Lectures; 24 x 1hr(s) Seminars; 24hr(s) Directed Study (presentations, learning journal)

So I guess "seminars" are something different to "lectures"?

Seminars must just be the tutorials. Where it gets confusing is that the head of the department, Professor Bocking, tends to use the words seminar and lecture interchangeably.

Seminars must just be the tutorials. Where it gets confusing is that the head of the department, Professor Bocking, tends to use the words seminar and lecture interchangeably.

That's bocking mad! :D So, the word seminar is used to describe a tutorial I guess. Just wondering, did you have any die hard religious folk (be they Christian, Muslim or whatever else) in the class who approached things from a mystical, magical fairytale point of view or were most people in fact not religious at all and looked at things in a logical manner (personally I'm agnostic atheist) Thanks.

• Advertisement

That's bocking mad! :D So, the word seminar is used to describe a tutorial I guess. Just wondering, did you have any die hard religious folk (be they Christian, Muslim or whatever else) in the class who approached things from a mystical, magical fairytale point of view or were most people in fact not religious at all and looked at things in a logical manner (personally I'm agnostic atheist) Thanks.

There were a few devout Catholics i.e. how dare you question my beliefs. Most people are the "standard Irish Catholic" which in itself can be bad enough. Myself, i'm an atheist so that gave me a nice perspective that the others might not have necessarily had.

There were a few devout Catholics i.e. how dare you question my beliefs. Most people are the "standard Irish Catholic" which in itself can be bad enough. Myself, i'm an atheist so that gave me a nice perspective that the others might not have necessarily had.

Oh this course will be interesting :D Glad I escaped Catholicism many years ago. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I'll give u the dossers view! I did it when i was in first year(2008-2009) and hated it. I found it immensely boring but if you have an interest in worldwide religions you'll love it. At least half the class were mature students so you'll be in good company. I only actually attended about 5 lectures and only did half the continuous assesment and managed to pass so it can't be too hard either!

Politics in first year is good enough as you mention it. Easy enough too.

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I'll give u the dossers view! I did it when i was in first year(2008-2009) and hated it. I found it immensely boring but if you have an interest in worldwide religions you'll love it. At least half the class were mature students so you'll be in good company. I only actually attended about 5 lectures and only did half the continuous assesment and managed to pass so it can't be too hard either!

Politics in first year is good enough as you mention it. Easy enough too.

Yeah, I have an interest in religions but from an objective, debunking point of view :D No snake oil for me! And what about Celtic Civilisation and Sociology? Any insights into these subjects? Thinking of taking those two as "filler" subjects. Thanks.

Yeah, I have an interest in religions but from an objective, debunking point of view :D No snake oil for me! And what about Celtic Civilisation and Sociology? Any insights into these subjects? Thinking of taking those two as "filler" subjects. Thanks.

Do not under any circumstances take Sociology as a filler. It isn't an easy subject in first year and some of it is structured very badly. I've link to pertinent posts in a previous thread here.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67778496&postcount=2

Thanks for the info and the heads up re: sociology but because of factors beyond my control (travel timetable issues) I think I'm going to have to go with sociology and make the bloody best of it, if I can! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I did celtic civ as well and found it tough enough and ended up repeating it in the summer. There was alot of material to cover i felt and i had trouble keeping up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 swish10

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I did celtic civ as well and found it tough enough and ended up repeating it in the summer. There was alot of material to cover i felt and i had trouble keeping up with it.

Yeah, I think no matter what subject I pick I could have issues with it but from a purely personal interest POV I'd go with Celtic Civ before many others. Also my timetable is largely dictated by a travel schedule so some of the other subjects I'd possibly like to do I simply can't :( But I'll make the best of what I can do! Thanks.

Advertisement