Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Froyo WiFi Hotspot

Options
  • 18-08-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭

Going down to Cork in a couple of days. I was going to use the FroYo WiFi Hotspot app to connect my laptop to the net. This will use the data from my standard data package, won't it? I'm on meteor smart.

I ask because tethering a phone to a laptop normally uses data outside of the data plan, am I right?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yes it will use your standard data package. Also it really burns your battery life so if you can use the USB cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Going down to Cork in a couple of days. I was going to use the FroYo WiFi Hotspot app to connect my laptop to the net. This will use the data from my standard data package, won't it? I'm on meteor smart.

I ask because tethering a phone to a laptop normally uses data outside of the data plan, am I right?

Cheers folks

That's just with an IPhone. Another Apple stroke of genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

That's just with an IPhone. Another Apple stroke of genius!

yeah it allowed me to get the ipad wifi instead of 3g version so they saved me €100 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

Meteor have never done that to me connecting half a dozen different phones to laptops etc.
    If you're plugging in by USB and are the only one using the link, just choose Share Connection or USB Tethering from the USB connection type list. It'll save you loads of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Thanks for the replies folks. Yeah, I'll have it connected to my laptop via USB so charging away (As long as it's one of the newer trains with plugs. Should be. cork train).

No, I just heard horror stories of people getting charges euros per meg when connecting their phones via USB to their laptops and expecting the data to come from their package balance.

That's grand so. Cheers again folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I handed over my girlfriend my ipod touch when I got my Desire ( Itunes free baby!!!)

Since 2.2, I've made it a habbit to activate wifi hotspot when we are meeting up, so she can use her ipodtouch for browsing email and app stuff ( she doesnt have internet at home).

Its pretty great, cant say I've noticed any unusual battery drain.

I'm on the 250mb a month package and literally have not come near the cap since i got the plan, even with the added usage the last two weeks I cannot see any chance of me hitting 250mb.

If only meteor would offer some middle ground I'd be a happy camper.

€5 for 250mb
    €15 for 10gb

I'd happily pay €10 for 5gb, or even 1gb, come on meteor, get it sorted

Advertisement