Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of a vet consult

Options
  • 18-08-2010 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Okay,

My dog was spayed two weeks ago and had dissolvable stitches put in the wound. The other day, one came out and the wound got a bit infected.

Molly (the dog) was fine, just the wound was the problem. She was still eating and drinking and playing.

So I took her to Santry vets, cause its the closest one to me and I was walking.

For about a three minute consult I was charged 42 euro. I don't know Dublin prices with vets and stuff cause I'm from the North, but this seems like a lot to me.

Was it?

I feel like I've been ripped off :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

smoggy11 wrote: »
    Okay,

My dog was spayed two weeks ago and had dissolvable stitches put in the wound. The other day, one came out and the wound got a bit infected.

Molly (the dog) was fine, just the wound was the problem. She was still eating and drinking and playing.

So I took her to Santry vets, cause its the closest one to me and I was walking.

For about a three minute consult I was charged 42 euro. I don't know Dublin prices with vets and stuff cause I'm from the North, but this seems like a lot to me.

Was it?

I feel like I've been ripped off :(

Did you not question the price? As to be honest as it was part of the spaying process so to speak i would have assumed it should have been included?? maybe you should call them an express ur upset?

On the other hand €42 is quiet cheap... i brought my cocker to the vet last week for his yearly shots, worming tablets and flea stuff cost me €215...:eek: i nearly died... last time i went (old vet in blackrock) it was never more than €120

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

cocker5 wrote: »
    Did you not question the price? As to be honest as it was part of the spaying process so to speak i would have assumed it should have been included?? maybe you should call them an express ur upset?

On the other hand €42 is quiet cheap... i brought my cocker to the vet last week for his yearly shots, worming tablets and flea stuff cost me €215...:eek: i nearly died... last time i went (old vet in blackrock) it was never more than €120

I got her spayed in a different place in Belfast. I was working up there for a wee while but I'm back in dublin now.

I don't knwo, for a consult only 42e seems like so much. I got antibiotics and an elizabethian collar too, so it all came to 59e.

I hate Dublin prices :(

Also 215?!?! :eek: I'm so glad I'm not you!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

My vet charges 32.50 for consult but we're "down the country" ;)

smoggy11 wrote: »
    I got her spayed in a different place in Belfast. I was working up there for a wee while but I'm back in dublin now.

I don't knwo, for a consult only 42e seems like so much. I got antibiotics and an elizabethian collar too, so it all came to 59e.

I hate Dublin prices :(

Also 215?!?! :eek: I'm so glad I'm not you!

I know i nearly drooped dead on the spot... needless to say i wont be going back to that vet again...

Maybe if she was spayed there, it might have been included etc... why not buzz them and just query it?? It cant hurt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

On the other hand €42 is quiet cheap... i brought my cocker to the vet last week for his yearly shots, worming tablets and flea stuff cost me €215...:eek: i nearly died... last time i went (old vet in blackrock) it was never more than €120[/QUOTE]

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTT ???? OMG that is mad !! I brought my 3 dogs and cat to vets the other day,2 needed boosters and they all got wormers and defleas....120 for the lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's not bad for Dublin prices I don't like the idea of dissolving stitches for dogs spays they aren't as strong as regular ones.
    I'm down the country and I could easily be charged the same, vet prices vary hugely. They seem to charge heaps more if there's a prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

€42 is the norm with them for an initial visit. We go to one of their other branches and have been in say for a repeat visit/wound inspection and not charged by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

down here its about €30-40 for a consult but if you found the animal it can sometimes be free (that is if the vet believes you)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

... i brought my cocker to the vet last week for his yearly shots, worming tablets and flea stuff cost me €215...:eek: i nearly
    Im sorry that is CRAZZZZY money.Double :eek: I would expect at the absolute maximum €130-150 and thats saying something. A consult isnt even required for that bar a check up pre-vaccination.Unreal money tbh and makes me sick as the basics of animal health care are boosters,worming and defleaing....basic stuff every single vet is sick to the back teeth of seeing.

Clearly charging for their boredom levels there :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im sorry that is CRAZZZZY money.Double :eek: I would expect at the absolute maximum €130-150 and thats saying something. A consult isnt even required for that bar a check up pre-vaccination.Unreal money tbh and makes me sick as the basics of animal health care are boosters,worming and defleaing....basic stuff every single vet is sick to the back teeth of seeing.

Clearly charging for their boredom levels there :mad:

It does seem a bit high - cocker5 did they give you an itemised bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

It really does differ from vet to vet.

Girl my Mam knows got quoted 120e for a spay off one vet and then mam suggested she ask our vet and she got quoted 40e for the cat spay thats a third of the price like! Our vet is a miracle worker he really is god bless him. 10e per pup few months back to vaccinate them and check them over, very reasonable. He pulls the prices out of his head there and then, but we give him a lot of business over the years so he's good to us! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I would imagine that if you'd have gone back to the vet who did the surgery it probably would have been free or a very low fee, although full price probably for the drugs. I don't think €42 for an initial consult is unreasonable, regardless of the time spent in the consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Wisco wrote: »
    I don't think €42 for an initial consult is unreasonable, regardless of the time spent in the consultation.
    No i dont disagree there either. Its how the other vet got to €215 for a booster,wormer and flea treatment i still cant figure out. I dont begrudge vets making a decent living at all...but my god it has to be within reason or else its to the detriment of animals health as it puts people off going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi there... yes he did.... my dog has usual yearly boosters, €80, kennel cough €75, worming and flea €60 (6 months supply)

That is MADNESS!

the last time I got Tilly her booster etc it cost be €45 for booster (7 in 1, I think) and €35/40 for KC. I bought a 6 month supply of flea and wormer (for two dogs under 5kg) off zooplus for £20.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

TillyGirl wrote: »
    I bought a 6 month supply of flea and wormer (for two dogs under 5kg) off zooplus for £20.

Just curious what you got? I had a quick look at their website and non of the flea stuff is worth it as it's not a POM (prescription only medicine) as far as I can tell and I'm pretty sure only vets and chemists can sell that stuff (the non POM stuff is useless). Also didn't see wormers on the site.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    That is MADNESS!

the last time I got Tilly her booster etc it cost be €45 for booster (7 in 1, I think) and €35/40 for KC. I bought a 6 month supply of flea and wormer (for two dogs under 5kg) off zooplus for £20.

thats an excellent idea!! I never thought of zooplus for wormer and flea stuff!! Thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Wisco wrote: »
    Just curious what you got? I had a quick look at their website and non of the flea stuff is worth it as it's not a POM (prescription only medicine) as far as I can tell and I'm pretty sure only vets and chemists can sell that stuff (the non POM stuff is useless). Also didn't see wormers on the site.

Sorry my mistake I got them off petmeds, we buy the arthritis tabs for our 17 yo dog from this site. Needed a presciption for those but not the flea/worm stuff.

We got;

Frontline Spot-on for Dogs - Upto 10kg (6 x 0.67ml) (UK) 1 £18 (6 month supply for two dogs)
    Drontal Plus Flavoured Dog Worming Tablet (UK) 4 £6.72 (1 year supply for two dogs).

There was free shipping as I got them shipped to my sister in England who was coming home shortly after.
    thats an excellent idea!! I never thought of zooplus for wormer and flea stuff!! Thanks :D

Your welcome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

€42 seems reasonable enough to me for a consult. My vet charged €40. That said, I've never had a 2 minute consult at the vets - minimum 5 mins and usually at least 10 - often 20!

It's unfortunate you couldn't return to the vet that did the op as I'm sure they wouldn't have charged, or would charge only a nominal fee.

cocker5 - €60 for 6 months worth of flea treatment and wormers sounds very cheap, depending on the weight of the dog. However, the prices quoted for boosters is outrageous!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

[QUOTE=cocker5;67529501his yearly shots, worming tablets and flea stuff cost me €215...:eek: i nearly died... last time i went (old vet in blackrock) it was never more than €120[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek: I'm in the North West, First lot of puppy vacs, micro-chipping and wormer - €55, 2nd lot of puppy vacs and wormer - €28!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I just got a tomcat snipped (including sedative and antibiotics) and tested for leucosis and FIV ...55 euro all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

we got 2 dogs vaccinated,checkup, kennel cough and stronghold for 5 dogs all for €75

on another occasion we had a dog examined, xrayed- on the spot, meds, injection for €35/40

• Registered Users Posts: 29 redgp

That's reasonable actually. Took my bunny to the vet €40 for consultation which lasted about 3 minutes and drops for his eyes.

€42 for visit, collar and antibotics seems fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 trekman

I always use the vets in Maynooth - they are about 30 minutes away but I find them always to be very thorough and not expensive - €50 for annual vaccination for my dog, I should probably get him Kennel Cough vaccine the next time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Gosh, can't believe some of the prices quoted here.
    One of ours had a bit of an accident recently and we took him to the vet for the once over.
    He was fine, but vet said she wld give him steroid shot and antibiotic. Only cost €25.
    When we got them chipped a few months ago, they knocked a few euro off the price. And recommended we buy the liquid wormer because it worked out cheaper than buying tablets every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

In Feb I'll be getting:

One dog spayed and wormed.
    One dog booster and wormed.
    One dog wormed.
    One cat booster and wormed.
    Total:- €430 :eek:

Consultation fee is €45 though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

€80 for the booster shot? Holy crap.
    I got one of mine done last week and it was €35 at our vet, gave him a once over too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Wormer like Parazole you can buy for under a tenner (if you shop around) and there are plenty of doses in it esp. if you have a lot of animals to worm.
    The de-flea stuff you can now buy a more natural one in the supermarket for about 7-8 quid or buy it over the counter at the vets..shop around for that too, anytime you are passing a vets even if it's not in your local town there's no harm in popping in and asking how much the wormer and de-flea stuff is you never know you might find one that's much cheaper for the same product.

Vaccinations are also something worth shopping around for, as long as you ask before hand do they do a bit of a health check first to make sure the dog is ok to have it done and that should be standard, ok we all have to pay for the professionalism and the service just like at the docs etc. but if a vet barely looks at the dog and then vaccinates they shouldn't be charging huge prices.

They are all buisnesses and need to make a profit but perhaps by picking an equally good vet from a much smaller practice is worth doing. The larger the practice, imo anyway the higher the price.

All well and good if you have one pooch but if you have more it's always a good idea to try and work it out so they all get vaxd at the same time so you can usually get a further discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

Kildareash - can you tell us which vet you use. Those prices seem very reasonable. Thank you.

Advertisement