Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Doors

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,

I am currently building a new house in the Cavan area and the time has come to consider our external doors.

I am keen to ensure the door chosen is strong in three areas, security, insulation and aesthetics.

It seems that there are lots of options (solid wood, engineered wood, PVC, fibreglass, steel) but it is all a little confusing as to which is the best.

Ideally we would like a traditional 6 panel 2-section door with a fanlight above (as shown on 10 Downing street - http://www.number10.gov.uk/tour/images/front_door.jpg).

There is a part of me that does not want uPVC as if we change our mind in 5 years time and want a different coloured door we can't simply paint it (or can we).

Then there is the solid timber option, but what kind of insulation and seals do they offer?

If anyone does have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,

Afro

Advertisement