Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education + Financing dilemma??

Options
  • 18-08-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey there, I am currently in receipt of social welfare and have just been accepted to a part-time Post-Grad course that I really want to do but I have a problem - I have already done a Post-grad about 3 years ago - and I believe this excludes me from any grant or BTEA. what are my options?

the course is alrady €4,000 and there is no way I could afford to live if I didn't have some assistance - I live away from home and work casually a couple of days a week (on the docket syetem)

can anyoone help me please with some advice?

I know if I done this course I would have really good chance of full-time professional employment. This will get me off the dole. I really want to better myself.

My deperate thinkin is

option 1) lie and say I dont have a post-grade already? (but what are the consequences)

option 2) take the course and still just stay on the same casual worker welfare and not say that I am going back to college? (can u be on a part-time course and still get the dole?)

Any help please really at a loose end

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's a part time course so you wouldn't be eligible for BTEA or a grant they are only given to full time students

my advice would be - credit union loan, claim tax refund on tuition fees and see if a local partnership organisation can help you out

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ballyrhy86

Is your course in the evenings? I'd say if your lectures are in the evenings then your available to work during the days so you should still get the dole. Or if you only have a day or two of lectures you might be able claim for the rest of the days. I suggest a visit to your friendly social welfare local office to find out for certain!

Advertisement