Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donedeal ad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

Is this ad for real?

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/horses/1504019

The second paragraph was added shortly after the ad was placed.

wouldn't it make more sense to make a donation to the DSPCA or Equine Rehoming charity?? Sounds a bit of a chancer doesnt he?? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

smartaform wrote: »
    wouldn't it make more sense to make a donation to the DSPCA or Equine Rehoming charity?? Sounds a bit of a chancer doesnt he?? lol

Why?
    He gives the impression of a Father who only owns the mare because of his daughter and would not think about animal charities. He states he has an affinity to RNLI so its the charity he feels should benifit.
    Atleast he is trying to get the mare to a good home rather than just give her away to The Chancers who answered his add.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Was intrigued by that ad myself. Would agree with Esroh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He reckons that the mare is worth something because of all the replies he got. The reason he got so many replies in the first place is because he had free to good home in his ad. At most horse sales this year you couldn't give away horses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I'm always wary of ads which say 'free to good home'. It never rings quite true to me. Even if a seller asked for 100 euro, it'd be better than giving the mare away. And probably increase the chance of her getting a better home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

It is clear the guy made this up once people replied.
    How do we know the people that replied thought - hey, a chance to get a companion horse for something for nothing, worth a look or a phone call at least.
    They could then see for themselves anyway AND anyone serious would show the guy, here's where she'll live and how she'll be treated.

Any ad that reposts saying ''due to the number of replies i have got, it appears the mare is worth something'' blah blah blah LOSES any respect and has the word DANGER TATTOED on it in my opinion.. Any half decent person would at least give the guy and his daughter something anyway out of courtesy, for getting the horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

I completely disagree, I think this man is absolutely taking the right course of action. Theres nothing to stop someone taking on this mare, and booking her into the factory straight away. Quickly making a couple of hundred euro.

By taking this course he's ensuring someone who's seriously interested will take the mare on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would say he's 'for real'. Many people are giving away horses at the moment because they cannot afford to keep them. He did say he didn't have time so probably wanted a quick sale. The charity is a good idea, but I wish it was for a horse charity. I would make the ad that bit more appealing.

However, I don't think he knows a huge amount about keeping a horse if he thinks the huge response is due to the worth of the horse so be prepared for a horse that isn't in perfect condition. By all means, I may be completely wrong but I think it's something to be careful of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I don't think he will be getting too many more responses after wording the ad like that. He should have written a new ad. He seems to be more interested in the charity than finding the horse a good home.

Advertisement