Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If I cancel....

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Hi

Some questions for you if you don't mind. I applied for my test, and now have to go away before it, leaving me a week to prepare for it when i get back, which I feel is too short a time for me to get fully prepared. There are still moves I am unsure of and I wanted to spend about 3 or 4 weeks doing pre-tests and practising. So I think I should probably cancel, I couldn't sleep last night for worrying about it.

However I got some opposite advise from a professional, saying that I should use it as a practice and an experience as opposed to cancelling it, that it will stand to me in my next test etc. They also said that there are changes being brought in after Sep 15th in the test that will not apply to me once I go ahead with the test I have been given the date for now. I am not sure what changes exactly as it was a very brief conversation...does anyone know what they are? Basically I don't know what happens after I cancel if I do and also how long do you have to wait before you apply again, etc.

My head's a bit melted right now, I just wish I'd waited one more month before applying, it's entirely my own fault for not researching more of course, but any words of wisdom from anyone about the above would be appreciated.

Thanks a mill - B

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭ccyy123

Really?! In a very similar situation here, I have my test on the 9th, but my instructor told me to cancel it. Does anyone know what these changes are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i'm guessing the changes being talked about are for new permit holders, and that they will need x amount of hours of lessons before they can apply for a test..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

pa990 wrote: »
    i'm guessing the changes being talked about are for new permit holders, and that they will need x amount of hours of lessons before they can apply for a test..

Hi you might be right. If that is the case I could certainly get records from instructors stating I've had more than 20 lessons (which is what I think new laws will demand) so it wouldn't be a factor for me to worry. But I thought that would just be for people who hadn't already got a provisional licence or learner permit or whatever you call it now. I think the info I got is a little unclear and will try to get clarification on it, I'll update this if I do.

According to the Independent the GDL will only apply to people who don't already have their provisionals
    "The changes will only affect new learner permit holders. Anyone who holds a licence now will not be affected."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

No. 1 If you aren't ready to sit the test cancel it. Failing the test may have an adverse impact on your confidence, that said it can depend on the type of person you are.

No.2 I wouldn't worry about the new rules which are coming into effect as I've been told that they will only apply to new permit holders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Thanks all for the responses. Yes I think you're all correct. I have postponed it, I called them. The girl was very nice. I feel better now, the pressure's off..for now :)

Advertisement