Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockfords Nightclub

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭

never got to the idea why do people actually bother to go there...???

1. place is a rip of drink and entry wise
    2. smells like piss
    3. smell of sweat
    4. terrible audio quality makes your ear bleeds(jacks is ok but i dont go there since not my type of music)
    5. no air con

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

No other options in the county.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

2. smells like piss
    3. smell of sweat
    4. terrible audio quality makes your ear bleeds(jacks is ok but i dont go there since not my type of music)
    5. no air con

Everyone you know will be there, and its not actually much worse than the majority of clubs in this country, except for the prices, but you can just make sure you drank enough before you went in!

You're other options are generally Club3 or not go out, and its not actually that bad, alot of people just feel self-important by putting it down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I've heard many a story about there ;)

Everyone you know will be there, and its not actually much worse than the majority of clubs in this country, except for the prices, but you can just make sure you drank enough before you went in!

You're other options are generally Club3 or not go out, and its not actually that bad, alot of people just feel self-important by putting it down

Is club 3 really an option?! ha

justshane wrote: »
    Is club 3 really an option?! ha

could ye not just go to carrick, only 15 mins away?

• Advertisement

15 mins from from Strokestown, 40 from Ros! An alot of people to head to Cartown but it's not handy to get to and from for the majority!

surely a big-ish town like ros could handle a few niteclubs, a top one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

im sure it could sure the place is wedged all the time...never experienced that low quality clubbing in dublin...

and who said its not alot worse? its the worst there is...been out in Limerick galway longford carrick dublin and loads of pubs around and never seen such bad quality night club...

now i know the owner cause my gfs uncle works there as a bouncer and the owner is a tight bastard and wont spend a penny to whats not 100% needed and as i was told before why should he spend money even if he doest improve people will still come...

well im a slow drinker and to get properly drunk need a whole day of drinking bulmers :D so i dont always get twisted drunk...but even drunk i can still feel the dirt of that place and that ruins the mood...if i dont my ears suffer too from that cracking noise :S

im sure it could sure the place is wedged all the time...never experienced that low quality clubbing in dublin...

and who said its not alot worse? its the worst there is...been out in Limerick galway longford carrick dublin and loads of pubs around and never seen such bad quality night club...

now i know the owner cause my gfs uncle works there as a bouncer and the owner is a tight bastard and wont spend a penny to whats not 100% needed and as i was told before why should he spend money even if he doest improve people will still come...

well im a slow drinker and to get properly drunk need a whole day of drinking bulmers :D so i dont always get twisted drunk...but even drunk i can still feel the dirt of that place and that ruins the mood...if i dont my ears suffer too from that cracking noise :S

Jes you really got it in for Rockies, it's bad but it does most of us fine, bit over-priced though!

You don't by any chance own club 3?

lol no ;) just stating the obvious ;) Club 3 isnt great either though i like it more but non of my mates go there so havent been there in years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

when i lived in galway cuba and gpo were very similiar to rockfords, i dunno maybe i like the more dingy club, blinkers in athlone was the king of crappy clubs, never had a bad night there :) i know one thing for sure rockfords >> riverisland castlerea

really liked jacks in rockfords before it burned down, i remember that place packed every night big generator hit the stage, good times :D

well not a fan of galway clubbing...you need to know some bouncers to get in anywhere...you need to buy a six pack of beer before going into a line cause otherwise you will be sober before you get to go in...galways club life is seriously over crowded too...spending an hour in the Que doesn't make the night better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

the vast majority of night clubs in the country invest seldomly if not regularly in their premises, something rockfords fails to do. Yeah, they put an LED screen at the back of the bar, but id far rather a something as little as new seats or stripping the walls and replastering them. Hell - even a slight overhaul of the layout and respectable toilet facilities would be something.

Not to mention the massive asbestos roof on the place....

Expensive? Yeah, its a rip off alright. Price wise its on par with coppers, located in the heart of Dublin. This is Roscommon - but I guess that they can abuse their position as the local 'prime entertainment venue' due to being the monopoly.

So acknowledging the place for the appaling kip it is makes one self importance? Sorry, but I cant deny the simple reality.

Not to go out? Ive been goin out in town for years without going there. I'm happy enough to leave at 1am. Why should I pay 10e into a kip ran by people who have absolutely zero respect for their customers? Maybe im just principled in that I dont support such glaring greed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

the vast majority of night clubs in the country invest seldomly if not regularly in their premises, something rockfords fails to do. Yeah, they put an LED screen at the back of the bar, but id far rather a something as little as new seats or stripping the walls and replastering them. Hell - even a slight overhaul of the layout and respectable toilet facilities would be something.

Not to mention the massive asbestos roof on the place....

Expensive? Yeah, its a rip off alright. Price wise its on par with coppers, located in the heart of Dublin. This is Roscommon - but I guess that they can abuse their position as the local 'prime entertainment venue' due to being the monopoly.

So acknowledging the place for the appaling kip it is makes one self importance? Sorry, but I cant deny the simple reality.

Not to go out? Ive been goin out in town for years without going there. I'm happy enough to leave at 1am. Why should I pay 10e into a kip ran by people who have absolutely zero respect for their customers? Maybe im just principled in that I dont support such glaring greed.

completely new smoking area?

I generally dont take into account how the walls are plastered and what the roof looks like (assuming theres no actual asbestos:pac:) when choosing what club im guna go to.

With regards the seats, theyr functional! just like everything else in the place! So im not too bothered after that! From what i hear Cartown has a lovely carpet, but something like isnt guna influence how much i enjoy myself at the end of the day!

The prices are definatly ridiculous alrite, but they can obviously afford to have them that high alrite!

And by "not go out" i meant not to stay out past 1, i presume the majority of people who read that assumed thats what i meant!

And with regards you being principled, i just prefer to pick my battles tbh! At the end of the day i get what i want from them, which is an enjoyable night with my friends so im happy!

I generally dont take into account how the walls are plastered and what the roof looks like (assuming theres no actual asbestos:pac:) when choosing what club im guna go to.

you see, to many people, the physical appearance of a venue is what makes it appealing / unappealing. Hence why structures of all kinds can be labelled a kip or a 'nice place'. Rockfords is the former.
    With regards the seats, theyr functional! just like everything else in the place! So im not too bothered after that! From what i hear Cartown has a lovely carpet, but something like isnt guna influence how much i enjoy myself at the end of the day!

I just used seats as an example because new seats would be one of the most apparent signs of investment in the place. Personally, those sitting on seats in nightclubs are usually doing so due to having had too much drink.

If the venue doesnt influence your decision, what exactly does? Maybe you're the kind who would drink anywhere providing there was a crowd, but I dont know.
    The prices are definatly ridiculous alrite, but they can obviously afford to have them that high alrite!

So why support that?
    And by "not go out" i meant not to stay out past 1, i presume the majority of people who read that assumed thats what i meant!

Younger people, yes.
    And with regards you being principled, i just prefer to pick my battles tbh! At the end of the day i get what i want from them, which is an enjoyable night with my friends so im happy!

Fair play but now you might realise that some people want something more than a hovel where they can simply drink overpriced beer for an extra hour or so with their mates. I'd happily pay a tenor into a club with a decent / varied music policy and high levels of sanitation - then I guess I could have my fun.

you see, to many people, the physical appearance of a venue is what makes it appealing / unappealing. Hence why structures of all kinds can be labelled a kip or a 'nice place'. Rockfords is the former.

I just used seats as an example because new seats would be one of the most apparent signs of investment in the place. Personally, those sitting on seats in nightclubs are usually doing so due to having had too much drink.

If the venue doesnt influence your decision, what exactly does? Maybe you're the kind who would drink anywhere providing there was a crowd, but I dont know.

So why support that?

Younger people, yes.

Fair play but now you might realise that some people want something more than a hovel where they can simply drink overpriced beer for an extra hour or so with their mates. I'd happily pay a tenor into a club with a decent / varied music policy and high levels of sanitation - then I guess I could have my fun.

Yeah, the appearance and layout obviously influence my decision on where to go, but as i said, Rokies is functional and not as terrible as some people make it out to be, and its the best of the available options i.e. better than going to club3 and better than going home at 1. I think you're just trying to be pedantic and trying to better me at this stage rather than just taking my opinions as an alternative viewpoint that alot of other people share.

I'll repeat what i said about "supporting it" - i part with a tenner and i get what i want from the night! I generally dont buy drink in rokies! I have principles but i know when to pick my battles! If you dont enjoy yourself in rokies then it obviously makes no sense to go, but if you see it as your own personal little crusade then i think you're guna be a long time waiting for someone to open anywhere that will compete with rokies, and live up to your standards at the same time.

Wouldnt mind a better music selection myself alright, but as iv said with everything else, it doesnt bother me to a huge extent at the same time

Yeah, the appearance and layout obviously influence my decision on where to go, but as i said, Rokies is functional and not as terrible as some people make it out to be, and its the best of the available options i.e. better than going to club3 and better than going home at 1. I think you're just trying to be pedantic and trying to better me at this stage rather than just taking my opinions as an alternative viewpoint that alot of other people share.

To me and anyone who likes to drink in pleasant surroundings - it is.

but you're the one who first stated that anyone who gives-off about it is just doing so in an effort to feel better about themselves. Im just trying my best to inform anyone who reads this thread.
    I'll repeat what i said about "supporting it" - i part with a tenner and i get what i want from the night! I generally dont buy drink in rokies! I have principles but i know when to pick my battles! If you dont enjoy yourself in rokies then it obviously makes no sense to go, but if you see it as your own personal little crusade then i think you're guna be a long time waiting for someone to open anywhere that will compete with rokies, and live up to your standards at the same time.

My own personal crusade? I just feel the people deserve better, however, if they are stupid enough to keep supporting such god-awful dive of an establishment week in, week out, let them off. I've yet to lambast anyone who uses it. Im just commenting on the reality!
    Wouldnt mind a better music selection myself alright, but as iv said with everything else, it doesnt bother me to a huge extent at the same time

Well, the owners dont want the dancefloor to be full, do they?

better than going to club3 and better than going home at 1.

tbh i choose the option not to go out...id rather wait till something decent happens around the midlands stay in a pub (obviously not in roscommon cause their extensivelly overcrowded) or stay at home and get a movie and some pop corn...you know i would give the man my 2 cents if he actually made an effort in improving the place...im a smoker but an improved smoking room not gonna make my night any better

at this stage i see that **** hole as one repetitive record...its a rip of and it smells and the sound quality makes your ears bleed...you can even see people grabbing their ears on the dancefloor at certain ages...

rockford lacks of serious innovation to attracting new customers...all the people that go to it are regulars at this stage which most of them are full time alcos over the weekends :D:D

im not that old and havent visited all night clubs in the country but lmao cartown by my standards is one of the best in the country...

and that soft fuzzy carpet does make your night better ;)

only downside to cartown that you can get lost in it if your drunk enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

tbh i choose the option not to go out...id rather wait till something decent happens around the midlands stay in a pub (obviously not in roscommon cause their extensivelly overcrowded) or stay at home and get a movie and some pop corn...you know i would give the man my 2 cents if he actually made an effort in improving the place...im a smoker but an improved smoking room not gonna make my night any better

at this stage i see that **** hole as one repetitive record...its a rip of and it smells and the sound quality makes your ears bleed...you can even see people grabbing their ears on the dancefloor at certain ages...

rockford lacks of serious innovation to attracting new customers...all the people that go to it are regulars at this stage which most of them are full time alcos over the weekends :D:D

im not that old and havent visited all night clubs in the country but lmao cartown by my standards is one of the best in the country...

and that soft fuzzy carpet does make your night better ;)

only downside to cartown that you can get lost in it if your drunk enough :)

you've quite a few chips on your shoulder mate, about things in Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

First 3 points could be made about Roscommon in general! :D

2. smells like piss
    3. smell of sweat
    5. no air con

• Advertisement

in certain areas :)

Kip!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rockfords is similar to the majority of clubs in ireland,cattlemarts trying to appeal to the widest audience possible.in fairness most people know what to expect ,they dont have to go.

its hardly an excuse?

is there any actual regulations on what a nightclub should provide in terms of well at least health and safety...

not going out isn't either an option...most of the time you just end up following your mates...

this is the reason i barely go out in roscommon...just rather save up the money and head up to carrick or wait till i get back to college to go out in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Whats the big attraction with cartown,they have the very same problems you have mentioned that makes you hate rockfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

completely new smoking area?

The roof has asbestos in and the emergency doors are always chained shut. You're right, it's not that bad.

tigerblob wrote: »
    The roof has asbestos in and the emergency doors are always chained shut. You're right, it's not that bad.

Proof that theres asbestos in the roof? You dont think that if there was that someone would have made them do something about it now? You dont think that when Jacks went on fire that someone would have realised that?

And the emergency doors arent chained shut, they have chairs wedged into them, which obviously isnt particularly safe, but they also have a bouncer type person beside them who would obviously take them out if need be.

Proof that theres asbestos in the roof? You dont think that if there was that someone would have made them do something about it now? You dont think that when Jacks went on fire that someone would have realised that?

Im no roofer but I know an asbestos roof when I see one. The next time you're on Castle Street, have a look at it.

When Jacks burned? Yeah im sure it was well known, after all, the fire bridage seemed to concentrate most on preventing the fire from spreading to the Rockfords - and im guessing this is because of the danger presented, and as we all know, fire bridages work to neutralise immediate dangers first and foremost.
    And the emergency doors arent chained shut, they have chairs wedged into them, which obviously isnt particularly safe, but they also have a bouncer type person beside them who would obviously take them out if need be.

The bottom line is that the fire exits are forced stuff, regardless of the means. This is still a violation of health & safety laws, however, the blame lies with the authorities as Rockfords is hardly the only public establishment which fails to meet acceptable H&S standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Im no roofer but I know an asbestos roof when I see one. The next time you're on Castle Street, have a look at it.

There's plenty of asbestos buildings around, including in our schools. There's no legislation requiring people to remove it unless the asbestos is going to be disturber or damaged.

It is the dust from it if it gets scratched, broken or taken apart that is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tigerblob

It is the dust from it if it gets scratched, broken or taken apart that is the problem

Or goes on fire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

ah rockfords.. i got me first "shift" there lol... thats a loooooooooooooooong time ago.. and i havnt gone back since!

Advertisement