Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suppliers of PH certified windows in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

Looking to know who is supplying passiv house ( PHI) certified windows in Ireland at the moment, or at least who supplies windows with certificates showing performance to PH levels. Only know of one supplier at the moment.

PMs would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

My tuppence worth, you may be aware of this but anyway...

If I recall correctly you previously stated your intention to go certified passive.

There is no requirement whatsoever to use PH certified components when doing so and in fact the PHI tend to encourage people to use what's commonly available locally to them rather than looking abroad.

In the case of windows however a word of warning. If you go with a window that isn't certified you will need to provide several pieces of technical info. about them which has proved troublesome for people in the past to get from manufacturers. If you go for a non-certified window product from a company that has another certified window then this is less of an issue because they will have the experience of what info. is required.

I am aiming to achieve certification and am planning to go with a company whose certified window is timber only, but I want the aluclad option. This is not an issue because the aluclad window is the timber window with an additional stage in manufacturering i.e. cladding in aluminium.

For HRV it's the same again. The unit I'm considering is from a manufacturer with many certified units, but the unit I want isn't certified. This is not proving a problem at all.

Anyway, pm away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GreenTech

Hi Guys,

Hope my post isn't too late. I concur with SAS on this one. The windows don't have to be PH certified. Working on a Passiv Haus at the moment and it doesn't have certified windows. The windows we are using are achieving 0.89w/m2k on the test window and we have all the data from the manufacturer to prove this. We have alot of glazing in this dwelling and its getting over the line by a long shot. One thing to be aware of is the G-value of the glazing. Interestingly the solar gain from your south facing windows may allow for double glazing in some instances. The g-value through most triple glazing tends to reduce solar gain when comparing to some of the double glazed units. Energy saved by using a triple glazed unit may actually be quiet close to energy gained through solar gain on a double glazed unit. This would depend on the orientation of the windows obviously! Hope this is of some use. I'll PM some of the companies we have been dealing with. Some are PH certified but haven't used them ... yet!

Advertisement