Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Office Building

Options
  • 17-08-2010 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Am looking to put up a small single storey office in garden with a view to converting to a chalet in a few years size about size of about 3m wide x 12m.

Have considered container or portacabin but think these may be a bit industrial looking.

Are the portable wooden type cabins OK or would I go for block?

Will have to put toilet in as well.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi All

Am looking to put up a small single storey office in garden with a view to converting to a chalet in a few years size about size of about 3m wide x 12m.

Have considered container or portacabin but think these may be a bit industrial looking.

Are the portable wooden type cabins OK or would I go for block?

Will have to put toilet in as well.

Any help appreciated

I would personally prefer block..all day everyday.

It really deends on what you mean by "portable wooden cabins" as these can be actually sheads or habitable structures..

either way id prefer block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

Probably looking for office/storage for a couple of years with an option to convert into small chalet/games room/gym.

Cabin type appealed to me because it is a relatively quick solution but how do costs compare to block.

What is the criteria for planning permission is it size or type of use e.g. do you need planning permission for garage under certain area?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't checked this up, so I may be wrong, but if you add a water supply to a building aren't you making it a habitable/commercial building? Therefore you are into serious planning permission. Also the size you are suggesting is not exactly small - 40 ft is a decent sized building; unless you divide it into rooms I can't see that you will get that length of a roof span on basic wooden structures.

Just throwing ideas around I have a 3m x 3m old playhouse I can convert into an office but problem is electric supply is about 150m away and I don't want to run cables all the way down garden

I would use office for about 15-20 hours per week neeeding small heater light and socket to run a p.c. so

Would it be cost effective to use a diesal generator for power

What about a small wind turbine,photo voltaic panels (expensive I guess) or what are the alternatives

Thanks for any help

It really is no problem to have a cable put in a pipe and buried. Granted we had a builder on site at the time and he put in a channel for me, but it wasn't a big deal. The electrician put in an additional fuse box in the kitchen then put half a dozen double sockets at desk height, lights and - very important - an outside light that can be operated from both ends. It can get very dark in a garden!

The phone line was taken overhead but it could go in the channel for the electric, though I have an idea you are not supposed to put a phone and power in the same conduit. I could be wrong about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

> 25 sqm = planning for garage/shed/ not habitable use

chalet = habitable use => different planning rules.

power at 150m can be done, where would the toilet go?

this big issue for habitable use?

jenny = bad idea on cost and noise grounds

wind T and PV = not at all suitable

Thanks for comments I'm at early stages so just teasing out what I actually need re: toilets (maybe not essential) etc so felt I would address planning after I've determined what I'm doing.

The biggest issue for me (which I was trying to avoid) was if I had to dig a trench 150m x ? deep for power, overhead would not be an option.

Thanks

You should also be aware that you will not get insurance on it. I can't remember the exact 'whys' but it is something you might want to check up.

OK am now considering porta cabin ticks most boxes is quick to install and is near enough a finished unit only downside is appearance (which can be hidden) I probably wouldn't now convert later on. Will also put closer to house saving long runs of electric cable and water.

Any one recommend best supplier

Thanks

Advertisement