Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP / SIP on vodafone

Options
  • 17-08-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I'm a new customer on vodafone, switching from 3. I used to be able to make calls through VoIP/SIP on my Android handset (now i9000), but ever since switching to vodafone, it seems I'm blocked while on 3G.

I've tried several different apps, SIPDroid, Linphone, Fring etc. and connecting to the service simply times out, which indicates a port block, since it works instantly and prefectly on WiFi (and 3G over VPN).

I had a look at the Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus (where do they come up with these names!) T&C and it clearly states that VoIP is permitted on this tarif.
    Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus
    The following terms and conditions of the Vodafone Perfect Choice Access Plus suite of tariffs (“Tariff”) are in addition to and form part of the General Terms and Conditions of the Vodafone Mobile Telecommunications Service and Perfect Choice Terms and Conditions, respectively. In the event of any conflict, these terms and conditions shall prevail.
    Any Customer who connects or upgrades to this Tariff will be signing up to a 12 or 18-month contract with Vodafone. The particular duration of each Customer’s contract will be subject to the handset selected by the Customer and the applicable minimum term will be confirmed at the point of purchase.
    During the first six months of their contract, a Customer on this Tariff may only migrate to an equivalent or higher plan than this Tariff. The Customer shall not be permitted to move to a lower priced package plan within this initial period.
    Subject to Clause 3 above, Customers on this Tariff may change to another price plan within the Tariff range not more than once every 30 days. Customers are not permitted to move from this Tariff to pay as you go, Vodafone Simply or legacy bill pay price plans.
    When a Customer switches to this Tariff, the change of price plan will be applied upon the Customer’s next billing day. Usage prior to the Customer’s next billing day will be charged as per the Customer’s current price plan.
    Any existing Vodafone Customer who wishes to move to this Tariff may have to cancel any Add-Ons should Vodafone, in its reasonable opinion, consider that these are incompatible with this Tariff.
    Any Customer who avails of this Tariff will receive the monthly allocation of voice minutes, text messages, email and web browsing applicable to the option chosen at the point of purchase.
    A Customer may use the monthly allocation of data to access Vodafone Live. Any unused allocation cannot be carried over to the next month.
    A Customer may use the monthly Tariff allocation of Vodafone live! to view only on-net pages. These are WAP pages that are managed and hosted on the Vodafone live! portal. No carryover of a remaining balance into the next month is allowed.
    Customers on this Tariff will receive a monthly SMS from Vodafone informing them of their remaining allocation of package minutes and texts mid-way through their billing cycle.
    Customers making and receiving calls, sending texts and accessing data usage across the APN’s listed in Clause 8 above, will incur a roaming charge when accessing those services outside of the Republic of Ireland. The default data roaming price plan for all Perfect Choice Access and Perfect Choice Access Plus plans shall be Vodafone Connect Abroad Daily. Customers on Perfect Choice Access or Perfect Choice Access Plus plans who access data while abroad will incur the applicable roaming charge(s) listed under Vodafone Connect Abroad Daily.
    Calls over the internet (VoIP - Voice over Internet Protocol) and data sharing (peer to peer) are permitted under this Tariff.

I've been in touch with Vodafone several times and they always initially try and fob me off saying i need to buy an additional VoIP data package (wtf?), but when I persist in telling them the T&C says it's ok, they give in and pretend to do something, ask me to turn off my handset for a few mins and check again. After that fails (as it's done every time now) they send me on to Data Support, who hasn't been much help yet.

The APN that came with my SIM is pointing me to live.vodafone.com and support is confirming that's the correct one for my tarif, yet it's blocking the traffic.

Anyone got any tips on what to do next? Or anyone been able to successfully conduct VoIP calls on the same Tarif / APN?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JLarsen

Just back from another call with Vodafone. This time I got lucky (ish) and got a competent supporter.
    I was informed that I shouldn't use live.vodafone.com and instead try hs.vodafone.com, isp.vodafone.com or misp.vodafone.com in the APN settings.

I tried all 3 to no avail, I can't even get a 3G connection with any of them.

Anyone of you using any of the above 3 APNs with success?

SOLVED

I got the wrong APNs from them, it's .ie NOT .com

so hs.vodafone.ie will make VoIP work like a charm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

I don't have hs.vodafone.ie. I use misp.vodafone.ie and fring works fine over it.

Just as a matter of interest what are the settings for hs.vodafone.ie?

I just put hs.vodafone.ie in the APN

Advertisement