Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android 3.0 Gingerbread

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

I've read somewhere that Android 3.0 could be released in October. Does this also mean that we could have a working 3.0 Rom for the desire in October.

Does anyone else have any news on this score?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

1GHz processor recommended? If this is the case then I'll be happy enough to wait for a custom 2.2 based ROM with the performance of Froyo and the best Gingerbread improvements hacked to work with it....or something along those lines :)

I'm guessing that Gingerbread will be bigger and consume even more of the Desire's much needed internal phone storage and put the 1GHz cpu under a lot of pressure.

I dont know this for sure, just speculating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lmao u wont get it for the desire in October...how long did it take 2.2 to be actually transferred officially from OTA Update...

the quickest way will be to root your phone and flash it...i dont understand why ppl still struggle with rooting their phones...there's free programs for it to do it for ya with one click lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

lmao u wont get it for the desire in October...how long did it take 2.2 to be actually transferred officially from OTA Update...

the quickest way will be to root your phone and flash it...i dont understand why ppl still struggle with rooting their phones...there's free programs for it to do it for ya with one click lol

Who said I wasn't rooted and wasn't talking about a custom Rom based on a leaked / ported version

wasnt talking about people who root their phones...about ppl who cry about it on forums when they will get their update ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

wasnt talking about people who root their phones...about ppl who cry about it on forums when they will get their update ;)
    No one's crying about anything. I highly doubt HTC will release Android 3.0 for the Desire (Or the Nexus One for that matter). The Android 3.0 phones are going to be a whole different generation of phones like the PSP Phone by Sony and Dual Core Snapdragon based phones. No doubt that we will see a Android 3.0 custom ROM for most phones before the end of '10 though.

• Advertisement

mygaf when was the last time you had a decent scroll through XDA :) and i remember before 2.2 OTA came out a new thread kept poppin up every day asking when will the update come...that was on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No one's daft enough to expect HTC to launch Android 3.0 for the Desire though. Android 2.2 was an easy port and everyone was expecting it.

mygaf when was the last time you had a decent scroll through XDA :) and i remember before 2.2 OTA came out a new thread kept poppin up every day asking when will the update come...that was on boards :)

Sorry mate, you are completely derailing my thread, I posted it on the assumption that people knew I was talking about an xda developer Rom or similar. I tried to spell that out a couple of posts up but you insist on talking about something completely different which may or may not have a basis but is certainly irrelevant to this thread, start your own

wow dude don't get a twist in your knickers...i didn't assume anything i just stated the obvious...

wow dude don't get a twist in your knickers...i didn't assume anything i just stated the obvious...

You've lost me now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

One of the main aims of 3.0 is to solidify the fork in Android and make a higher end and a lower end line.

But in doing so it will stop or try to kill the forking problem on the higher 3.0 line.

HTC and others will still try to skin the OS and because of this 3.0 will come much later for phones with Android from the oems as opposed to the Nexus and the rom makers versions which will come very soon after Google release it.

One of the main aims of 3.0 is to solidify the fork in Android but to stop or try to kill in on the higher 3.0 line - HTC and others will still try to skin it tho and because they do that 3.0 will come very late in the game for any of the oems as opposed to the Nexus and the rom makers versions which will come very soon after Google release it.

Can you rate answers here? Cause if you can, I give this 5 out of 5 and the no.1 answer. Above all it adheres to Boards etiquette and stays on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Can you rate answers here?
    You cant rate posts as such but you can "thank" individual posts by clicking on the thumbs-up icon on the bottom left corner of the post.

I dunno, I thought evolution's answer covered the same info and also gave a workaround for those who cant wait for the official ROM.

Sorry to pick on your typos conor but "to stop or try to kill in on the higher 3.0 line" doesnt even make sense :D

someone's a bit sensitive I think lol

Odd.

Ye - I have edited it i meant ''it'' not ''in''. Ah I edited it completely - its the same jist but now actually makes decent grammatical sense.......

maybe I got my wires crossed

no problem, we all get backed into a corner sometimes and read or say the wrong thing especially on a bad day. Much respect to you for responding.

Thanks for clearing that up conor, makes more sense now alright.

So what you are saying is that 3.x will be for higher end phones and 2.x will continue to be updated for lower end phones? Can anyone confirm this as it would be good news for my Desire as I've already mentioned that I dont think 3.0 will work well with it.

The Desire is in line to work with 3.0 as it has a 1ghz processor and the screen is spec so it will continue on the 3.0 line for at least the first iteration anyway.
    No one's daft enough to expect HTC to launch Android 3.0 for the Desire though. Android 2.2 was an easy port and everyone was expecting it.

What? :eek:

Of course they will release 3.0 for the Desire - it is in line with the min specs and it is still new-ish even when 3.0 rolls out, they are not going to let the other manufacturers update their phones and keep their users on 2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Of course they will release 3.0 for the Desire - it is in line with the min specs and it is still new-ish even when 3.0 rolls out, they are not going to let the other manufacturers update their phones and keep their users on 2.1.

I wouldn't be so sure as they will have a Desire HD model out nicely in time for the 3.0 release. There is also a question about custom skins and 3.0 anyway, so the Sense UI might disappear with the 3.0 release. So HTC will either not bother to update the Desire because it wants sales of the Desire HD or will provide a vanilla 3.0 as an optional release for the Desire, but only because the won't be customising the UI anymore and it would be easy for them to do this. My guess would be that they won't, but rooting is easy so lots of people will have 3.0 running on their desires anyway.

Yes - but the Desire will still be one of their higher phones with Android and they can't let it drop behind the other makers phones.

Yes - but as I said HTC and others will find a way to tweak the experience, maybe somehow with some sense or somehow else but they will try.

Yes of cour customs roms of 3.0 will be out faster than HTC or others will relase OTA updates, like all the other times.

They sold the phone - they got the money - they have no incentive to be quick, di%ks! (I can't believe thats not censored...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

.i dont understand why ppl still struggle with rooting their phones...there's free programs for it to do it for ya with one click lol

I think its very much because there is not any real benefit that I can see, and probably the average user can see.

I very much think sometimes that people who root/jailbreak do it because they want to sound more intellectually superior or IT savy, without actually using the benefits.

Jailbreaking my ipod touch was essential. I needed to ssh and do remote access among other things I couldnt do as standard.

I was prepared to "root" my android upon purchase, but was pleased to find my android does things like remote access, ssh etc as standard, along with a host more.

I still have not found a reason for me to root. And yes the process is stupidly easy, its nice to know its there. Perhaps it is because I'm running an unlocked unbranded phone, when Google release the updates, I get them straight away, that I dont see the desire ( o i did) to put on custom roms etc.

As far as I can tell the benefit of rooting allows me to basically have deeper control of my devices storage paths and run some partitions to help speed up the phone.

Both of which I see no need for : /

I'd be more interested when I hear some new features of 3.0, not just a new name and a new number.

2.2 has, for me

Significantly increased the performance of my phones speed across the board.
    Allowed app to sd card movement finally.
    Brought some nice new apps like
    Gesture Search
    App sharing
    Wi fi hotspot
    Chrome to phone
    Voice actions
    Aswell as updates like goggles translating text.
    And there is more I'm forgetting.

When I see some feature updates about 3.0 ill get excited ;)

So far it seems to Google music, something I will have literally no interest in since I don't buy music digitally.

I as a user, havn't got anything where I'd be like " O i wish google did this!"

Yes I'd like Google Voice in Ireland, but its a legal and red tape issue as always with us, the app is ready to go, but stumbling blocks to beat the band.
    Google have an on the fly translation app that integrates with navigation and maps or can be run standalone. Again running into red tape to be released in this country.

It seems, for me, my android experience is very much evolving as they release new things. Unlike say an iphone or my old ipod touch, I always had something I wanted, then everyone wanted, then it seemed silly it wasnt there.

So far it was just apps to sdcard, with that addressed I'm very much spending my time scowering the web to see if I'm missing on some cool app.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think its very much because there is not any real benefit that I can see, and probably the average user can see.

I very much think sometimes that people who root/jailbreak do it because they want to sound more intellectually superior or IT savy, without actually using the benefits.

Jailbreaking my ipod touch was essential. I needed to ssh and do remote access among other things I couldnt do as standard.

I was prepared to "root" my android upon purchase, but was pleased to find my android does things like remote access, ssh etc as standard, along with a host more.

I still have not found a reason for me to root. And yes the process is stupidly easy, its nice to know its there. Perhaps it is because I'm running an unlocked unbranded phone, when Google release the updates, I get them straight away, that I dont see the desire ( o i did) to put on custom roms etc.

As far as I can tell the benefit of rooting allows me to basically have deeper control of my devices storage paths and run some partitions to help speed up the phone.

Both of which I see no need for : /

I'd be more interested when I hear some new features of 3.0, not just a new name and a new number.

2.2 has, for me

Significantly increased the performance of my phones speed across the board.
    Allowed app to sd card movement finally.
    Brought some nice new apps like
    Gesture Search
    App sharing
    Wi fi hotspot
    Chrome to phone
    Voice actions
    Aswell as updates like goggles translating text.
    And there is more I'm forgetting.

When I see some feature updates about 3.0 ill get excited ;)

So far it seems to Google music, something I will have literally no interest in since I don't buy music digitally.

I as a user, havn't got anything where I'd be like " O i wish google did this!"

Yes I'd like Google Voice in Ireland, but its a legal and red tape issue as always with us, the app is ready to go, but stumbling blocks to beat the band.
    Google have an on the fly translation app that integrates with navigation and maps or can be run standalone. Again running into red tape to be released in this country.

It seems, for me, my android experience is very much evolving as they release new things. Unlike say an iphone or my old ipod touch, I always had something I wanted, then everyone wanted, then it seemed silly it wasnt there.

So far it was just apps to sdcard, with that addressed I'm very much spending my time scowering the web to see if I'm missing on some cool app.

What he siad...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

TheDoc wrote: »
    Perhaps it is because I'm running an unlocked unbranded phone, when Google release the updates, I get them straight away, that I dont see the desire ( o i did) to put on custom roms etc.

Only you don't get them as soon as Google releases them on the Desire, you have to wait three months for HTC.

Those with rooted phones were running custom 2.2 roms up to three months before htc released it. Google rolled out 2.2 too select nexus one users in may when it was announced and it was ported by xda to desire shortly after.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Inquitus wrote: »
    Only you don't get them as soon as Google releases them on the Desire, you have to wait three months for HTC.

Those with rooted phones were running custom 2.2 roms up to three months before htc released it. Google rolled out 2.2 too select nexus one users in may when it was announced and it was ported by xda to desire shortly after.

That and not having any market restrictions are 2 good reasons to root.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I've a nexus so I'm not too concerned about the rollout speed but the market restrictions would be the only thing that'd tempt me to root it. And even at that, I dont really care about paid apps so its really not all that tempting.

advantages of rooting?

hmm you can fully back up your data...
    you can flash new roms (which usually have better performance and usability)

i bet you all came across scrolling through the market and some app says root required...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

advantages of rooting?

hmm you can fully back up your data...
    you can flash new roms (which usually have better performance and usability)

i bet you all came across scrolling through the market and some app says root required...

From inspecting root apps and paid apps, there is nothing that tempts me. Also most of the good paid apps have direct links that you can purchase with paypal and download anyway, like swype and locale.

I can fully backup my apps, music, contacts, calender etc already with unrooted, what more can I backup?

I dont want to seem like being a smart arse or derail the thread, but I'm taking a devils advocate to rooting, i nthe hope that someone plods along, tells me something, and I'm tempted to root.

As said above ( or maybe another thread cant remember) with Android and my desire I'm not wishing for news things, and waiting for them to come, I'm very much being teased and led into new things and ways of using my phone.

can you back up app data? like say your game saves? or where you left of last?

aswell rooting give you the ability to enable paid app store for a wider variety

• Advertisement
Advertisement