Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to nothing, help!

Options
  • 17-08-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Does anyone know if the credit union and banks are still giving out student loans? Just found out that I won't be able to claim tax back on my fees because I have no tax credits (haven't worked in 20 months) and as I already have a degree, I'm entitled to nothing; no grant, no BTEA. My fees are €7334 a year and all I've managed to save on the dole is €2000 which doesn't even cover the first installment. I really, REALLY don't want to have to defer for a year because the idea of another year on the dole makes me want to jump off a cliff! (and I'm only half joking :cool:) I can't do another year in this god awful limbo and there is just no work out there. Do you think I stand a chance of getting a student loan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

If you have been on the dole are you not entitled to some sort of back to education allowance?

As first point of call try your social welfare office and also citizen advice bureau, and dept of education - either in person or their websites.

Hope it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fionav3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the credit union and banks are still giving out student loans? Just found out that I won't be able to claim tax back on my fees because I have no tax credits (haven't worked in 20 months) and as I already have a degree, I'm entitled to nothing; no grant, no BTEA. My fees are €7334 a year and all I've managed to save on the dole is €2000 which doesn't even cover the first installment. I really, REALLY don't want to have to defer for a year because the idea of another year on the dole makes me want to jump off a cliff! (and I'm only half joking :cool:) I can't do another year in this god awful limbo and there is just no work out there. Do you think I stand a chance of getting a student loan?

Yes try the credit union and ask the college about the college about the student assistance fund and the vincent de paul and your local partnership organisation

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

spaceylou wrote: »
    If you have been on the dole are you not entitled to some sort of back to education allowance?

As first point of call try your social welfare office and also citizen advice bureau, and dept of education - either in person or their websites.

Hope it works out!

Tried social welfare and the education officer wouldn't even speak to me on the phone because I already have a degree. And because I haven't been working I'm not entitled to tax back on my fees. I'm screwed whatever way I turn. :(
    Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes try the credit union and ask the college about the college about the student assistance fund and the vincent de paul and your local partnership organisation

Thanks Johnny. And what do you mean by local partnership organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

I don`t understand if your moving from a level 8 to another level 8 - why? If your moving on to level 9 your entitled to apply for BTEA. Think theres also a European fund for hard cases look it up maybe. Speak to the college you might find they could help.

Tried social welfare and the education officer wouldn't even speak to me on the phone because I already have a degree. And because I haven't been working I'm not entitled to tax back on my fees. I'm screwed whatever way I turn. :(

Thanks Johnny. And what do you mean by local partnership organisation?
    an organisation similar to Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

theg81der wrote: »
    I don`t understand if your moving from a level 8 to another level 8 - why? If your moving on to level 9 your entitled to apply for BTEA. Think theres also a European fund for hard cases look it up maybe. Speak to the college you might find they could help.

My original degree is English and even with a masters and phd, I wouldn't be able to find employment (like one of my college lectures told me, I'm basically waiting for someone to die). It was an interesting degree but utterly impractical and even before the recession hit, I couldn't find work that's why I'm moving to another level 8. I would like to get a halfway decent job from my studies. And thanks for the advice, I'll check onto both of those options.
    Johnnymcg wrote: »
    an organisation similar to Bray Partnership or Fingal Leader Partnership

Thank you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

But are you not looking at a Higher Diploma so it takes lesss time and appreciates what you`ve already done. Also look into Government skills conversion courses which are funded, although not sure to what degree, for people with level 8s.

theg81der wrote: »
    But are you not looking at a Higher Diploma so it takes lesss time and appreciates what you`ve already done. Also look into Government skills conversion courses which are funded, although not sure to what degree, for people with level 8s.

Tried two years running to get onto the higher diploma in Galway with no success and Cork and Dublin are too far to travel (I'm not in a position to move) so I had to look at undergrads. Believe me, a hdipp would have made things sooooooooooooooo much easier!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tried two years running to get onto the higher diploma in Galway with no success and Cork and Dublin are too far to travel (I'm not in a position to move) so I had to look at undergrads. Believe me, a hdipp would have made things sooooooooooooooo much easier!

Does'nt have to be a HDip/Pgde in education. I think what theg81der is saying is that HDips are degree conversion courses to other disciplines, from Arts to IT, from Science to Business..

snubbleste wrote: »
    Does'nt have to be a HDip/Pgde in education. I think what theg81der is saying is that HDips are degree conversion courses to other disciplines, from Arts to IT, from Science to Business..

Yeah but I don't want to do a hDip in just anything (kinda defeats the purpose of going back and doing what I really want to do), I want to do it in Psychology. I'm aiming to become a clinical psychologist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

My original degree is English and even with a masters and phd, I wouldn't be able to find employment (like one of my college lectures told me, I'm basically waiting for someone to die). It was an interesting degree but utterly impractical and even before the recession hit, I couldn't find work that's why I'm moving to another level 8. I would like to get a halfway decent job from my studies. And thanks for the advice, I'll check onto both of those options.

Thank you. :)

Do a TEFL course and get a teaching job.

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    Do a TEFL course and get a teaching job.

Have several friends with a TEFL qualification who can't get work, not to mention two friends who are qualified primary teachers; one is unemployed and the other is working in a shoe shop. And I know of more people than I can count who are going back to do teaching. This country already has a surplus of teachers and its only going to get harder to find employment in that area.

Have several friends with a TEFL qualification who can't get work, not to mention two friends who are qualified primary teachers; one is unemployed and the other is working in a shoe shop. And I know of more people than I can count who are going back to do teaching. This country already has a surplus of teachers and its only going to get harder to find employment in that area.

If you're only going to look for work in Ireland I really have no sympathy for you. It's time to broaden your horizons and seek employment abroad.

If you're only going to look for work in Ireland I really have no sympathy for you. It's time to broaden your horizons and seek employment abroad.

Right. And every person in this country who can't find work is in a position to go abroad. :rolleyes: I am not in a position to go abroad for personal reasons that I have no intention of going into.

Right. And every person in this country who can't find work is in a position to go abroad. :rolleyes: I am not in a position to go abroad for personal reasons that I have no intention of going into.

Enjoy the dole queue then. :pac:

Enjoy the dole queue then. :pac:
    No need to be so sarky

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement