Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano tuning?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Pretty sure this is a stupid question BUT - is it possible to get a piano tuned... "slightly out" by a professional? Now before anybody says "Ill come round and do it for free" - just from a production standpoint, I have a standup piano Id like to use for a recording, but its about a quarter step out of key on most keys. It needs to be tuned, but I want to keep that slightly "out" intonation. Have an old sound in a pretty well tuned piano.. (enough to play with other instruments comfortably in normal tuning) Is this done at all? (Outside of Abbey Road...) Would you be able to ask a piano tuner to keep that effect?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Why don't you ask a few? The guy I use can do that. Based in Cork but he does travel and is a sound bloke. PM for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I can recommend this guy: http://www.paulwadepianotechnician.com/

Excellent for tuning for a certain feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

jtsuited wrote: »
    I can recommend this guy: http://www.paulwadepianotechnician.com/

Excellent for tuning for a certain feel.

+1

Top quality tuner, who does pianos from concert halls to living rooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Pretty sure this is a stupid question BUT - is it possible to get a piano tuned... "slightly out" by a professional? Now before anybody says "Ill come round and do it for free" - just from a production standpoint, I have a standup piano Id like to use for a recording, but its about a quarter step out of key on most keys. It needs to be tuned, but I want to keep that slightly "out" intonation. Have an old sound in a pretty well tuned piano.. (enough to play with other instruments comfortably in normal tuning) Is this done at all? (Outside of Abbey Road...) Would you be able to ask a piano tuner to keep that effect?

Thanks

A piano book I have - done by a guy who did a lot of session stuff from the 60s on. He had a technique for making a perfectly tuned upright sound like a slightly off honky tonk. He made a kind of a daisy chain of paper clips and rubbish and hung it over the strings.

Piano tuning is difficult. A tuner will most likely just try to get the piano to sound ok by itself and not be in concert pitch. Pianos drift out of tune. A concert tuner would have to detune the whole thing and maybe come back another day or two to get it just right. Tuning a piano is worse than tuning a harp.

The pianos in Waltons are always out of tune. Do they tune them before shipping?

Why don't they have a tuner working there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

krd wrote: »
    The pianos in Waltons are always out of tune. Do they tune them before shipping?

Why don't they have a tuner working there?

Because Waltons is the Aldi of music shops.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Because Waltons is the Aldi of music shops.

Jesus, at least Aldi tune their fruit.

Want kind of idiot thinks they can sell a piana (rhymes with banana) for 20 grand when it's out of tune?

I was in there the other morning. They have a girl who goes round and polishes all the pianos in the morning. Honestly, what would it take to have someone fix a few strings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sunshine.day

Try "Gabriel Pianos" www.gabrielpianos.com they tune pianos, serve and restore old pianos, may be they can help you.

;)

Advertisement