Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Floor Insulation

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:03am
    Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi Folks,

I am taking up all the laminated floors in a new(old) house I have just bought. I need to redo the whole plumbing.
    While the are up, I might as well put down some floor insulation. But it cannot be too thich as the door would not close/open and the door saddles are very low. Also i will be replacing the laminate.
    Its a bungalow around 1650 sq ft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

johneym wrote: »
    hi Folks,

I am taking up all the laminated floors in a new(old) house I have just bought. I need to redo the whole plumbing.
    While the are up, I might as well put down some floor insulation. But it cannot be too thich as the door would not close/open and the door saddles are very low. Also i will be replacing the laminate.
    Its a bungalow around 1650 sq ft.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

John

You could consider raising all the floors in the house (say by 1") and trimming same from all your doors. Laminate would be straightfoward to lay on 1" of insulation, carpet perhaps over 1/2" insulation + 1/2" ply, tiles over perhaps 3/4" insulation + 1/4" ply??

• Site Banned Posts: 344 ✭✭johneym

thanks antiskeptic,

whats the name of the insulation or where do I get it? Thanks a lot

and is plywod a good insulator? ta

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

people may think im mad but here is a good case where i think a multifoil insulation would be applicable.

id like to know what the under floor construction is but assuming its concrete, and you can play with about 1", then id batten the floor with 1" battens and lay 25mm (1") polystyrene between... this is available in rolls. Id then staple a layer of multifoil insulation over the battens before fixing the new floor boards through the multifoil to the battens. Budget allowing of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I would not do that syd beacuse multi foils require a 25mm cavity to either side for it to work properly .

Kinsgpan produce a board - intended for flat roofing - which has a 6mm ply layer factory bonded to it . I don't know how slim the insulation can be I have used it at 86mm overall thickness ( 80 ins + 6 ply) .

So if its available at 31 ( 25 + 6 ) I would use it with an additional 12 ply over . So that's 43mm overall rise - excluding carpet , tiling or wood flooring thicknesses

Potential snags

Your floor to ceiling must be min 2400mm - check this first
    Your kitchen and utility units will no longer fit under worktops
    You may need a new fornt door
    Your first stairway step will not be equal to the rest . Not good after a few jemmy's - but may not be an issue for the OP , i.e. bungalow .

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hadnt know that SB, thanks...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sinnerboy wrote: »
    I have used it at 86mm overall thickness ( 80 ins + 6 ply) .
    :D:D

facepalm1_1.jpg

"ins" meaning insulation not inches

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll take your word on that :cool:

venetian-blinds-lg--gt_full_width_landscape.jpg

• Advertisement

thanks a mill for all the replies folks, I really appreciate it.

Will not be going near ther kitchen as that is already tiled etc and is ok. Floors are concrete.

Advertisement