Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a 360 transfer kit to mod?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

ok I'm no expert at.....anything really, but I'm just wondering what kind of mods can be done using the transfer kit for xbox 360 hard drives? I will soon be getting the new 360 slim. My current xbox is under repair ait the MS centre in Germany for a new dvd drive, but when I get a new xbox, I'll have to transfer my memory from the old to the new, which will involve me buying a transfer kit for 20 squids, and I'd like to maximize the use it has. I'm just asking anybody out there that has done this sort of thing before for help. I'm not really interested in opening up the xbox or getting any hardware like a jtag or anything, but who knows, maybe I will be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

ok I'm no expert at.....anything really, but I'm just wondering what kind of mods can be done using the transfer kit for xbox 360 hard drives? I will soon be getting the new 360 slim. My current xbox is under repair ait the MS centre in Germany for a new dvd drive, but when I get a new xbox, I'll have to transfer my memory from the old to the new, which will involve me buying a transfer kit for 20 squids, and I'd like to maximize the use it has. I'm just asking anybody out there that has done this sort of thing before for help. I'm not really interested in opening up the xbox or getting any hardware like a jtag or anything, but who knows, maybe I will be.

Unless you've not ran a software update in over a year on your old xbox you're not going to be able to JTAG whether you want to or not. In fact, Microsoft probably update the bootloader as standard procedure even if you're only getting a new DVD drive.

You can use a USB memory stick with the latest dashboard version (2.0.9199) to transfer files from one console to the other. If you don't have the JTAG option available to you then there's not a whole lot else you can do with the transfer cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Would transfering all your data - move your acheivements onto the new console if your not online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

You can mod gamesaves, Modio 2.42 has nearly everything you'll want/need - even a Fatx explorer which you need to read 360's drives. Not every gamesave can be modded, but alot can! You have to resign + rehash them every time you change them, but you can download 100% completed games if you need - then resign them with Modio.

There's avatar + gamerscore mods too, not 100% sure if they work on retail (non-hacked) boxes, although I wanna get testing to make absolute sure.

Also, you can download Demos and put them in the 00000000000 folder on your HDD and they'll pop up in Games library.

If I think of anything else I'll update..

Wez wrote: »
    You can mod gamesaves, Modio 2.42 has nearly everything you'll want/need - even a Fatx explorer which you need to read 360's drives. Not every gamesave can be modded, but alot can! You have to resign + rehash them every time you change them, but you can download 100% completed games if you need - then resign them with Modio.

There's avatar + gamerscore mods too, not 100% sure if they work on retail (non-hacked) boxes, although I wanna get testing to make absolute sure.

You're asking for a Live! ban if you do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Oh yeh, prolly shoulda said that, especially considering it's a new slim.. My bad!

That's mainly for profile mods though, right? With the amount of online save editors (RDR for example) and the fact they're resigned + rehashed, how would MS know a gamesave isn't legit? Or does it boil down to achievements + timestamps?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wez wrote: »
    Oh yeh, prolly shoulda said that, especially considering it's a new slim.. My bad!

That's mainly for profile mods though, right? With the amount of online save editors (RDR for example) and the fact they're resigned + rehashed, how would MS know a gamesave isn't legit? Or does it boil down to achievements + timestamps?

Surely the re-signed digital signature is detectable? If resigning was so easily done, it would make jtag's obselete overnight...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well id say M$ were a bit lieniuent when it comes to games saves.
    i.e U cannot take control of the system with a game save.
    A lot of people mod gamerscore what u do is take a genuine gamesave hex in ur unique key but u dont even have to do that manually as there is software brought out that will do it automatically. and then u have a great gamerscore without playing games. i never done it just read about it.
    But it is a risky buisiness as if ur achivements are out of order lets say finnish game at hardcore difficulty was the first achievement u unlocked then M$ will ban u. As obviously u cannot get that achivement as the first unlocked if u played the game properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well id say M$ were a bit lieniuent when it comes to games saves.
    i.e U cannot take control of the system with a game save.
    A lot of people mod gamerscore what u do is take a genuine gamesave hex in ur unique key but u dont even have to do that manually as there is software brought out that will do it automatically. and then u have a great gamerscore without playing games. i never done it just read about it.
    But it is a risky buisiness as if ur achivements are out of order lets say finnish game at hardcore difficulty was the first achievement u unlocked then M$ will ban u. As obviously u cannot get that achivement as the first unlocked if u played the game properly.

So it would come to pass the MS have a library of digital signatures, & roles for each of them. Presumeably then certain MS signatures are easier to break/build than others?

EnterNow wrote: »
    Surely the re-signed digital signature is detectable? If resigning was so easily done, it would make jtag's obselete overnight...

It is, but it's not a dealbreaker when it's done on gamesaves - they're signed to the console ID, consoles can re-sign content very easily. The only reason you'd mod a gamesave really is to get an achievement, and Microsoft have their ways to find this stuff out and do ban people for this.

Now signing the other containers (like PIR containers for Arcade Games/DLC) are another ballgame altogether. The console can't re-sign that without the key from Microsoft, which is only sent once you purchase the content. Altering the bits (and I think it's only 2 bits to indicate demo or full version) unsigns the content and that's why it'll only work on a JTAG - because it cares not about signed/unsigned content.

Advertisement