Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nail polish

Options
  • 17-08-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

i'm looking for recommendations of good nail polish, dries easily and doesn't chip. i've tried all the basics like rimmel and loreal up to top brands like opi and jessica. i'm still looking :(

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I find Barry M and the rimmel lasting finish ones good. I usually do a few coats though.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Barry M do really good nail polish, it's the best one I've used so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Another vote for Barry M. I'm seriously impressed with their nail varnish, it's really easy to put on, nice consistency, lasts quite well and it comes in some really nice colours. The only issue I have is that the shades are a bit whacky - a lot of yellow, orange, bright green etc, so if you're looking for more classic reddish shades, it might not be ideal, but the quality is fantastic, especially for the price .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I got some nail varnish in Inglot recently and its lasted much better than others Ive used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

On a budget, I like Rimmel. I always do two thin coats and it lasts pretty well. If you have a bit more to splurge, I really love essie and OPI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Another Vote for Barry M here!
    Although, I find if you leave it on for 5+ days then, while it doesn't chip, the colour cracks kind of and leaves loads of little skinny veins of cracks all over the nail. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? :o

I have a lot of nail polishes (this is about 2 thirds of my collection :o) and I find Rimmel Lasting finish or 60 sec the best of the cheaper brands. If you do it properly, using a decent base coat and top coat and doing thin coats allowing them to dry completely inbetween then you can get 5 days of chip free colour, and up to a week with minimal chipping.

The best BY FAR that I've used is Dior. I got a load of them as gifts a couple of years ago, the colour, consistency, ease of use and how long they last is just brilliant! And over the years, they haven't clumped or gone gloopy either!

In order of the brands I've got I'd rate them
    1. Dior - can't fault it
    2.Opi - ^^
    3.Rimmel Lycra pro (if you get this in clear, and use it as a base and top coat, it'll make ALL your other polishes last longer!)
    4.Rimmel 60 sec favourite of cheaper brands and the brush is AMAZING!
    5. Barry M!- as above
    6. NYC - Only have one or two, brilliant colours, thin consistency but that doesn't mean you need loads of coats, 2 coats is plenty.
    7.MAC - alright, not really worth what you pay for it. Although, it looks gorgeously glossy
    8.Rimmel Lasting fix - not as good as Lycra Pro or 60 sec but has brighter colours
    9. No. 7 - Not worth what you pay for, bad range of colours I think too.
    10. No. 17 - Horrible brush, colours are alright, only get 2/3 days without chipping
    11. ELF - colours are fab, but they chip within hours and go gloopy within a matter of weeks after opening.

I really love nail polish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

cant recommend stargazer enough. very nice colours and lasts for ages! i would recommend putting a clear varnish (just one coat) on the top to help your varnish last longer.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

where can you buy opi in dublin?

Another Vote for Barry M here!
    Although, I find if you leave it on for 5+ days then, while it doesn't chip, the colour cracks kind of and leaves loads of little skinny veins of cracks all over the nail. Anyone else notice this or is it just me? :o

I have a lot of nail polishes (this is about 2 thirds of my collection :o) and I find Rimmel Lasting finish or 60 sec the best of the cheaper brands. If you do it properly, using a decent base coat and top coat and doing thin coats allowing them to dry completely inbetween then you can get 5 days of chip free colour, and up to a week with minimal chipping.

The best BY FAR that I've used is Dior. I got a load of them as gifts a couple of years ago, the colour, consistency, ease of use and how long they last is just brilliant! And over the years, they haven't clumped or gone gloopy either!

In order of the brands I've got I'd rate them
    1. Dior - can't fault it
    2.Opi - ^^
    3.Rimmel Lycra pro (if you get this in clear, and use it as a base and top coat, it'll make ALL your other polishes last longer!)
    4.Rimmel 60 sec favourite of cheaper brands and the brush is AMAZING!
    5. Barry M!- as above
    6. NYC - Only have one or two, brilliant colours, thin consistency but that doesn't mean you need loads of coats, 2 coats is plenty.
    7.MAC - alright, not really worth what you pay for it. Although, it looks gorgeously glossy
    8.Rimmel Lasting fix - not as good as Lycra Pro or 60 sec but has brighter colours
    9. No. 7 - Not worth what you pay for, bad range of colours I think too.
    10. No. 17 - Horrible brush, colours are alright, only get 2/3 days without chipping
    11. ELF - colours are fab, but they chip within hours and go gloopy within a matter of weeks after opening.

I really love nail polish :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I use Seche Vite topcoat and find it helps to keep the nail varnish on. It also helps to dry the varnish very quickly. I like OPI, Essie and Models Own. Models Own have some amazing colours! I get all my nail varnish on the net and use NOTD pictures to see if I like the colour in natural light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 basil83

I love Rimmel Lasting Finish and 60 seconds for trend colours but if I'm looking for a colour I'll wear for months on end then I love Chanel's polishes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

I'd go for the H&M ones, they have some really pretty colours, arent too expensive and are very easy to put on. After that Id say Barry M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

IMO, you can't beat OPI or Nails Inc if you want long lasting nail varnish. They're the only polishes I'd use on my hands. Rimmel's OK , but not on my hands. Tend to use them on my toes, that way I don't get too pissed off if it chips in 5 mins which is what Rimmel tends to do...

If you want to buy OPI/Nails Inc at reasonable prices, then your best bet is Amazon. They're the cheapest I've seen so far. Paid £6.95 for a polish and £8.95 for Nail Envy.

Use a decent top coat to make it last though. I use Seche Vite which is fab!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Pythia wrote: »
    I use Seche Vite topcoat and find it helps to keep the nail varnish on.

I third the Seche Vite recommendation:p

As for best polish?? Always find the Chanel ones amazing; and my favorite of the cheaper brands would be the Catrice ones:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

jellie wrote: »
    I got some nail varnish in Inglot recently and its lasted much better than others Ive used before.

+1 for inglot, their nail varnish has a lovely, shiny finish and doesn't chip at all and they have a huge selection of colours

where can you buy opi in dublin?

I've only ever bought it online, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

opi in urban beauty in rathmines

jessica in precious salon in templeogue

all expensive though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

where would i get seche vite in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 inkyglide

I use OPI and another 1 that works fab is NYC's Quick dry range. I use that with a clear coat on top of that and it lasts for a week or so. After a week I usually chose another color.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Catrice nail polish is a cheap and cheerful favourite of mine. I apply 2-3 coats and it lasts quite a few days without chipping.

Great colours available in the range too.

dudara wrote: »
    Catrice nail polish is a cheap and cheerful favourite of mine. I apply 2-3 coats and it lasts quite a few days without chipping.

Great colours available in the range too.

Oh I quite like this too! The quality is much better than essence or elf or others of similar price. The only thing is they ALL have glitter or shimmer in them and I prefer solid colours really. But can't really fault the quality for what you're paying for them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - it's quite good quality for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Nails Inc for the range of color and durability and Barry M for good price which also lasts well considering the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I tried three 17 nail polishes because there was an offer and was shocked about how good they were. They're quite cheap, sorry I can't remeber the price but its about 3 quid.
    Essence are amazing although their shade range isn't that great.
    +1 for Barry M too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

I bought 10 nails inc colours today in BTs for e45.
    Fab colours, including french manicure and 2 nails hardeners. Just did the french mainlcure and they look fab. Bit slow to dry though - thats the only gripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

dellas1979 wrote: »
    I bought 10 nails inc colours today in BTs for e45.
    Fab colours, including french manicure and 2 nails hardeners. Just did the french mainlcure and they look fab. Bit slow to dry though - thats the only gripe.

Was that BTs in Cork or Dublin?!..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Limerick!!!
    I asked her how much 1 bottle was, and she said e12 (I think 12 anyways). I was quite taken by the colours and how nice the sales assistant was, so when she said e45 for 10, I jumped at it. I got:

1 colour for my mam
    2 nail hardeners (I normally use nailtiques at e20 a pop)
    1 base coat
    1 overcoat
    1 pink french manicure
    1 white manicure for tips (the consistency is so perfect that you can actually paint it on the tips easily without messy applicators).
    3 colours (1 navy, 1 maroon, 1 mushroom).

You can mix and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭tictac2580

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Limerick!!!
    I asked her how much 1 bottle was, and she said e12 (I think 12 anyways). I was quite taken by the colours and how nice the sales assistant was, so when she said e45 for 10, I jumped at it. I got:

1 colour for my mam
    2 nail hardeners (I normally use nailtiques at e20 a pop)
    1 base coat
    1 overcoat
    1 pink french manicure
    1 white manicure for tips (the consistency is so perfect that you can actually paint it on the tips easily without messy applicators).
    3 colours (1 navy, 1 maroon, 1 mushroom).

You can mix and match.

Ya I have a good lot of them (although I find they get gloopy quite quickly) and was thinking that was really good value for 10...presumably they might have the same offer in Cork!...I will try get in to have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

anyone have any experience with matte nail polish?

what's a good brand that's not too expensive?
    if you've tried this type, does it feel different to regular nail polish?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I find that a base coat can stop chipping I use 17 base coat a nice cheap price too! :)

I love Opi, ME ME ME, Stargazer, Miss Sporty, Barry M, no.7 and 2 true.
    The 2 true really amazed me, it stayed on for like 3 days solid and did not chip once and it's a fairly cheap brand! I got it in superdrug in Tallaght :)

I used nails inc before and it chipped less than 24 hours after I had put it on even with base and top coat!!! :mad:

Hate Rimmell!

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    anyone have any experience with matte nail polish?

what's a good brand that's not too expensive?
    if you've tried this type, does it feel different to regular nail polish?

Rimmel actually do a matte top coat (see here!) which you apply over any other nail polish to mattify it. Means you don't have to fork out for loads of different polishes.

Works well on solid colours but not on anything with glitter or shimmer.

Doesn't feel any different on your nails, but it feels dryer to the touch.

Advertisement