Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiler inside or outside Garage

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Just looking for opinions on putting an oil burner inside the garage or outside the garage. Obviously the advantage to inside is heat to the garage from the boiler but is it cleaner outside

Comments

The one with the shortest pipe run to the house, long pipe runs waste a lot of energy.
    Outdoor boiler needs little work to install it, one in the garage would need an external flue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭YourAverageJoe

well in my case the distance is only about one meter extra to put it outside, basically oposite side of the garage wall. As for the flue if inside, straight out the garage wall.

I was just wondering what the pros and cons are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

put it inside, will be cheaper as you won't be buying the outdoor kit.

It will be a condensing boiler with a balanced flue which literally just does a 90 degree turn and straight out the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

put it inside, will be cheaper as you won't be buying the outdoor kit.

It will be a condensing boiler with a balanced flue which literally just does a 90 degree turn and straight out the wall.

cheaper and easier to service in winter...:D

Most people that put boilers outside do it for 2 reasons.

1, No room

2, Dont like the smell of the diesel/Kero

If you have the room and you can live with the smell(Which is not that bad)

put it inside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're building the house yourself, you should put it in a little boiler house that is built into the house i.e. advantages of a short run of pipe and easy maintenance / lack of noise / no Carbon monoxide risk etc

A properly functioning, modern boiler will provide no heat in your garage, they're very well insulated these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Another advantage to having it inside is that it prevents pipes coming loose in cold weather - I'm no boiler expert, but I had two pipes come free over the cold spell & had to fix them, aswell as those of two of my neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭scanner1

you can have the boiler in the garage like I did but you need a specially insulated pipe to eliminate (as much as possible) heat loss between the garage and the house. I had 25 feet or so and the pipe and fittings cost me €520. (supposedly between 0 and 1% heat loss)

No i have got the special insulated pipe, v exopensive stuff, about 45 euro/m.

I am just looking for pors and cons of inside versus outside.

If there is no heat output from the boiler casin why not just leave it outside, menaing no fumes, no mess if leak, no mess if boiler malfunctions and goes on fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭country home

i asked the same question within the last few months, , , very little replies. .
    but to me it ended up a no brainer, ,

i have put it inside.

funny, that is the same conclusion i have come to. Basically i decided that having it inside allows for alterations and additions to the system at a later stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement