Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New email setup

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

Looks like UCC have gotten around to setting up a new email system to replace the old one. Its provided by Google, pretty much the same as using Gmail by the looks of it. Think CIT have the same email setup.
    So, what do we all think?
    I quite like it, seems much cleaner that the old system. Bit easier to use as well and it being basically GMail will probably make it easier for people to get use to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Same as you I think, I forward on my email to normal gmail account, so it doesn't make much of a difference really.

I'd like if BISMail switched over to something that allowed forwarding though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Ya, I forward mine as well, just though it should have a mention. Be unreal if they did something with the BISmail alright. Not fond of it at all as it is like. Even if it could be changed to the old student email one it would be a major improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not too pushed tbh. I didn't have any problem with the old one, and my normal email address is with Yahoo so I'm not used to GMail at all. I'm sure I'll get used to it though.

Does this new system have any major advantage over the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Does this new system have any major advantage over the old one?

Yeah, in fairness GMail is the shizz. Stuff like your Inbox updates without reloading the page, lots of formatting in messages and easy uploading of files. GMail also puts your emails into conversations, which is great for organising stuff.

Things like labels are handy if you've a lot of bulk email coming in, from, say, Facebook or mailing lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

plus instant messaging so you can whisper sweet nothings across the library ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Will this mean that emails won't be deleted from my inbox after a few months now?? That always annoyed me.

yerayeah wrote: »
    Will this mean that emails won't be deleted from my inbox after a few months now?? That always annoyed me.
    Dunno. Far as I can tell that was because of the amount of memory available. The new system seems to have a tad more memory than the old one(7487MB compared to the old 102MB, if I'm not mistaken) so I doubt that's gonna be happening any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

Do we have to switch over to the new email or can we still use the old one?

deisedude wrote: »
    Do we have to switch over to the new email or can we still use the old one?
    According to the email they sent out about it:
    3. On Monday 16th August official UCC email will start being
    sent to your umail.ucc.ie account. Email will continue to
    student.ucc.ie
    until it is retired (you will be informed in advance). At
    student.ucc.ie will be
    umail.ucc.ie.
    You should have another few weeks but I would imagine they'll have retired it before very long.
    The email they sent is pretty much entirely on the SIT site:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/sit/text-104963-en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Only until the end of September apparently, at which point, it'll be shut down

I always liked the old system tbh, something no nonsense about it which i appreciated...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I noticed I cant set the theme on new email..is there anyway we can do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

That's the first thing I noticed! A deal breaker really; the Gmail themes are real nice and it's great the way they change with the time of day and the weather. Having looked at a Chinese Tea House for over a year, I simply can't adapt to the positively ugly plain blue theme.

There's no way to change them: the relevant setting is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭heliocentrist

Simple solution is to just forward mail to your regular Gmail. I'd been doing it all along and set it up with this straight away too. Multiple email accounts ftl.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Can you access the new system without having to go through the sit.ucc.ie website - tried umail.ucc.ie but it just takes me back to the ucc homepage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Can you access the new system without having to go through the sit.ucc.ie website - tried umail.ucc.ie but it just takes me back to the ucc homepage

Here you go Rebel Girl :)

http://www.google.com/a/umail.ucc.ie

What I like about the new service is that there's a mobile version of the webpage which makes it much easier to manage. :D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Here you go Rebel Girl :)

http://www.google.com/a/umail.ucc.ie

What I like about the new service is that there's a mobile version of the webpage which makes it much easier to manage. :D

Thanks - why couldn't they make it nice and simple, I'm half thinking set up a new gmail account and have it forward to that account just so I can change the themes, my existing gmail account is full of sports newsletters!

You can get to the email via umail.ucc.ie! Someone must have seen my suggestion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

You can get to the email via umail.ucc.ie! Someone must have seen my suggestion :D

That's a good idea considering when I go to the standard gmail login page I can't get on for some reason. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭marti8

I'm a fresher and I've done the online registration part 1 and doing the part 2 on Friday - should I already have access to my UCC email account I wonder? Because I don't. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭lee4892

Yeah TCD set ours up through MyZone (Gmail) four years ago. Great space limit and works really well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement