Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive for Mac (Non-Time Capsule)

Options
  • 16-08-2010 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

There's a lot of questions here relating to external hard drives for Macs, so excuse me if I'm repeating anything. I'm looking for a Mac-designed external hard drive, however I don't have the Leopard operating systems so the Time Capsule is a non-runner.

Anything else out there that will be as compatible? I've never used an external drive before so need something fool-proof and sturdy. Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any USB external hard drive should work. Most drives come with the filesystem pre-formated for Windows, so you'll have to reformat it as HFS+ (Mac OS Extended). This only takes a minute or two using Disk Utility.

Stick to the main brands - Western Digital or Seagate. There's not much difference. They are both as likely to fail as the other. Backup everything.

Both brands offer a "Mac version" but they are same thing except they usually have a Firewire port, which you might want to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trebor81

Thanks for all that info.

Excuse my ignorance, but what would you need a firewire port for?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

Firewire = Speed. I have a Fantom drive that I have used since OS 9 with no trouble and I have a 1TB Seagate (USB) that I used with OsX and now with Snow Leopard. Again no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 trebor81

Thanks for that.

Advertisement