Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question: Bird call?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭

This is all very vague so apologies.

Was sitting out the back yesterday, our balcony overlooks a large area of undeveloped land, essentially an old field has been taken over by the wilds.

At several point there were back and forth calls from the tree line which sounded quite strange. the closest I can think is like banging something off a tin lid. I'm sure they were natural, some kind of bird but couldn't see any despite a search with the binoculars.

Its a quiet area, despite being enclosed by the n11 and m50 either side, any idea what the may have been?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Woodpecker?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Woodpecker?

call, maybe - dunno what they sound like. Didn't sound like one drilling on wood though.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

If you go onto the RSPB website you can listen to the sounds of different
    birds, it may give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

turns out it was a pheasant. caught him right outside the back of the apartment on Sunday making a right racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

It is funny how distinctive their call is, yet people always have trouble describing the sound. Same could be said for a lot of birds, I suppose. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Bart Simpson being strangled ;-)

Advertisement