Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who supervises?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Are about to sign off on a package deal (site with house to be built) but given that we are spending quite a bit of money I would like to employ someone to supervise things etc.

I don't think we need someone on site 24/7 but perhaps just at crticial stages e.g. ensuring that the insulation has been installed correctly.

My question is: who is the best person to employ for this role? There is an architect involved but he is employed by the contractor hence my query.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

My question is: who is the best person to employ for this role?

IMO you need to retain an Architectural Technician to visit the site prior to pouring foundations, prior to pouring floor slab etc..... a minimum of 5 site visits required but I would recommend 10 visit - 5 critical stages & 5 unanounced - just to keep everyone on their toes.

Pricing is competitive so approach 3 experienced Technicians with full PI insurance, for a written quote. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Ment to say above that there is a huge difference between "supervision" & "inspection".
    There are great differences that you should study and be aware of.

Its not possible IMO to "Supervise" construction with just 5 - 10 site visits. "Supervision" would require a site presence for 24 -7 IMO.

I sure others will have an opinion on the differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

RKQ wrote: »
    IMO you need to retain an Architectural Technician to visit the site prior to pouring foundations, prior to pouring floor slab etc..... a minimum of 5 site visits required but I would recommend 10 visit - 5 critical stages & 5 unanounced - just to keep everyone on their toes.

Pricing is competitive so approach 3 experienced Technicians with full PI insurance, for a written quote. :)

Or an Architect, Engineer etc. There are other professions that just Architectural Technicians.:) (although they are well represented here)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,865 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We have decided to ban all engineers from the forum :D

Advertisement