Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders Reputation

Options
  • 16-08-2010 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi I am shortly being to build my own house. I was all set to use a builder who came very highly recommended by 2 close friends and my engineer. I have met him and all was well until my solicitor ran a credit check on him and found he owed money to revenue.
    Has this happened to anyone before and would I be mad to go with this guy now. He is still working away and has a few other houses he is working on at the moment.
    I would be paying for the build by stage payments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

bobsyr wrote: »
    I would be paying for the build by stage payments.

Talk to your 2 close friends, your Engineer and your Solicitor, its a tough question to ask in a recession. If the Builder is a professional and this is his only form of income then he will want to survive this recession and work his way out of it.

As you will be paying by stage payments, ensure the cost of works completed & materials on site is greater than each stage you pay. In effect you will be behind in payments until the last stage payment. So if the Builder goes bust you won't have overpaid him.

Be careful, seek strong professional advice and follow your gut.

Advertisement