Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to store paint?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for some advice on where to store paint from major house redecoration. I want it to be safe, but I also need it not to be too cold so I can use it for touch-ups, etc.
    My options are:

- under the stairs
    - in the garden shed
    - in the attic.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Max Hunter

Leave it in the shop and hire somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

39steps wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Looking for some advice on where to store paint from major house redecoration. I want it to be safe, but I also need it not to be too cold so I can use it for touch-ups, etc.
    My options are:

- under the stairs
    - in the garden shed
    - in the attic.

What do ye think?

All my paint is left stored in the garden shed, Provided the lids are sealed properly and they should be ok. might need a good stir when you come to use it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

When storing paint make sure to turn the can upside down after putting the lid on, then store upright. This creates a good seal on the lid to prevent any air getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Good advice on turning the tin before you store it.
    I follow a simple rule for paint, all water base stuff is kept somewhere warm in the winter if possible (usually spare room for me) and in the shed in summer, but all the oil base stays out in the shed all year.
    This is to prevent the water base stuff splitting and spoiling due to frost. Most water base paint will be unusable after about 2 yrs regardless of where it's kept, if it's been exposed to air or is a partially empty container; mould and stuff seems to grow on it and the smell can be terrible.

Oil will last for years, decades even, once properly sealed and it's takes some very severe cold to affect it. Even skinned-over oil paint is still usable once strained and thinned.

If this is simply domestic paint for touch ups etc, then a few of those little paint buddy things topped up with your left over wall colours is the way to go; keeps the paint wet and is also a roller for touch ups. label them with the colour code/room and keep somewhere safe.

Advertisement