Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AI Skirmish Difficulty

Options
  • 16-08-2010 4:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    So i started playing starcraft 2 there with my mate a seasoned RTS player I'm not as experienced with them but i've beaten a few command and conquers and halo wars and was really looking forward to playing a new one.

I purchased the game off Battlenet but when i saw how slow their server was to download the 8Gb i just torrented the file to speed things up.

I have no issues with the single player at all, however in co-op skirmishes we are hitting a brick wall difficulty wise, even on easy the AI seems to destroy us in less then 15 minutes, as i said i'm not exactly a noob and my m8 is a long time player, so i dont think we're missing a trick my question is i suppose are any of you experiencing any such problems or know of a fix? or is it more likely that i just suck at the game and go back to playing mariokart :P (no seriously i dont suck :P)

Cheers in advance
    Fudgez

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

sorry but the easy mode vs AI is very easy. on easy mode the AI doesnt make more then just a few units. even on medium they dont do much air units or defense even late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the general thing with ai is that you cant turtle in and wait all your army ready in 30mins:D you need to keep harass or bring you big army ready to attack/defend in about 10-15mins. well i think for easy ai you can do the wall in to survive their attack,under the condition that you have tanks and nice chokepoint set up.

i can win 1v1 easily against easy-medium ai :D but i do notice that when i play 2v2 with mate the winning rate suddenly becomes 50/50 especially when there is terran in ai team :pac: bare in mind even for the professional players have difficulty play against insane ai once the game hits the 20mins mark - insane ai has maphack and crazy macro :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fudgez wrote: »
    I purchased the game off Battlenet but when i saw how slow their server was to download the 8Gb i just torrented the file to speed things up.

The reason it was so slow was because by default, blizz downloader does peer to peer which slows you up as most irish connections are not symmetrical. Your download speed is usually ten times faster than your upload speed. This causes problems.

For future reference when downloading off of blizzard services, in the Blizzard download manager if you disable "peer to peer" in the options, you will be able to download it directly from their servers.

This will be your maximum speed available and probably alot faster than torrents. Which is also peer to peer ironically. :p

With regards to your A.I. problem, most players play RTS in a standard "turtle and build a huge army" way. This won't work well against AI and decent players in starcraft 2 though. If you harass early on with tier 1 units and kill his economy you will have alot more success. It's just hard to get into that mentality.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A few games of c&c won't prepare you for the brutality of sc. Every second counts, every crystal spent needs to be weighed up and work for you. My erg build order is extremely tight on time and I use it to get a split second advantage on the enemy. You need to be in that mindset too. At the start Kharn and I had mega problems with medium ai and dropped, shamefully to easy. We got beat at that too hahaha. But now we steam roller two mediums by working together and excising any waste from our build orders.

Have a game plan and stick to it, and support each others weaknesses. That should do it. Oh and read strata and watch replays.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

All the above,

but to add, at the twenty minute mark it will be impossible to keep up with the Macro of the AI. There is a point at which most players find it difficult to both build a army and use it, build a base and use it and keep expanding to generate more income. Which leads back to increasing complexity of steps 1 and 2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement